Spartans No. 1 for third week

Finally, a team has held on to the No. 1 ranking for more than two weeks in the latest U.S. College Hockey Online Poll.

Michigan State University stayed in the No. 1 spot after two convincing wins over two previous No. 1 teams, the University of Minnesota and the University of Wisconsin, as well as a victory over Lake Superior State. The Spartans received 38 of a possible 40 first-place votes, up 10 from last week’s 28.

The University of North Dakota jumped a spot to No. 2 after a dominating two-game sweep of St. Lawrence University. The Fighting Sioux received the remaining two first-place votes.

Boston College moved up one spot to No. 3 after defeating Merrimack College and Harvard University in overtime on its home ice.

The University of New Hampshire, on the heels of a five-game winning streak, slid up a spot to No. 4 after slapping MSU-Mankato and the University of Minnesota-Duluth to win the Sheraton/Howard Bank Hockey Classic.

The University of Michigan moved up two spots to No. 5 after two confidence-boosting road wins at Wisconsin and Minnesota.

Western Michigan University, which boasts one of the nation’s top offenses stayed at No. 6 after sweeping two at home against Ferris State University.

Minnesota fell the most of any squad in the polls, all the way from No. 2 to No. 7, this due to losses to No. 5 Michigan and No. 1 Michigan State.

Providence College stayed in the No. 8 slot after tying the University of Denver and No. 9 Colorado College, which likewise stayed in the same slot after also defeating Boston University.

St. Cloud University stayed at No. 10 after fine road wins over Northeastern University and the University of Massachusetts at Amherst.

(First-place votes in parentheses) 1. Michigan State (38) …………………..10-1-2 2. North Dakota (2) ………………………10-2-4 3. Boston College ………………………….11-3-0 4. New Hampshire ……………………….10-3-1 5. Michigan …………………………………10-3-2 6. Western Michigan …………………….10-1-2 7. Colorado College ………………………..9-3-2 8. Western Michigan ………………………7-2-3 9. New Hampshire …………………………8-3-1 10. Northeastern ……………………………8-3-1 11. Maine ………………………………………6-1-1 12. Wisconsin ………………………………..5-4-3 13. Providence ……………………………….4-2-1 14. Yale …………………………………………7-4-4 15. Union …………………………………………..5-3-0