City Council: Guns, violence and the Citgo sign

After focusing on an array of issues spanning from youth violence to rubber sidewalks in 2006, the Boston City Council spent its third-to-last meeting yesterday debating restrictions on liquor licenses, which some councilors said inhibits the growth of new business.

Councilor-At-Large Stephen Murphy proposed a petition that would increase the number of beer and liquor licenses distributed in the city. Currently, proprietors must go through the state legislature to get licenses for their restaurants — a long and arduous process, Murphy said, which makes it difficult for anyone but well-established chains to receive licenses.

“Currently the law states that, for Boston, the legislature must approve liquor licenses,” Murphy said. “From here on in, the Mayor of Boston and the Boston City Council shall set the number of licenses in the city of Boston.”

Co-sponsor of the petition, Councilor John Tobin (Jamaica Plain, West Roxbury), said it is important to grant liquor licenses to new businesses as a way to stimulate the city’s expanding economy.

“There is a new bistro in my district that has been operating for seven months without a liquor license,” Tobin said. “It’s difficult to do this. As more places in the city are developed, we are going to need more liquor licenses.”

While yesterday’s meeting focused on Boston business, throughout the year, councilors have also examined ways of changing the City Council’s election format that could go into effect as early as the next Council election.

In January, Councilor-At-Large Felix Arroyo proposed a term limit for the City Council President’s reign. The previous law said there were no restrictions on how many times a councilor can serve as president. Currently, the Council selects a president through an annual majority vote.

Arroyo’s proposal, which was defeated 8-4 on Jan. 26, would have prevented current Council President Michael Flaherty from running for a second term in 2007.

In September, the Council also voted to monitor Boston Public School students’ mental health status to prevent school violence.

“This area is one we haven’t spent enough time on,” said Councilor Chuck Turner (Dorchester, Roxbury). “We understand adult stresses that affect our children. Violence and other problems then become prevalent.”

On Wednesday, councilors held a hearing on youth violence, citing statistics that in March, April and May of this year, the crime rate in Boston shot up nearly 47 percent.

“People are dying, and the perspective is out there we aren’t doing enough,” Ross said at the meeting.

The Council also examined other, less serious issues affecting the city.

At the Sept. 13 Council meeting, Councilor Robert Consalvo (Hyde Park, Roslindale) proposed installing rubber sidewalks in his districts.

The sidewalks, made from recycled car tires, are manufactured in Gardena, Calif. and look and feel like concrete sidewalks, but are easier to maintain and less harmful to the tree-root laden streets of the city.

In September, Boston City Council Councilor Jerry McDermott (Allston, Brighton) proposed pulling down Boston’s Citgo sign after Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, called President Bush “the devil himself.”

The proposal sent colleagues, Boston residents and Boston University students into a frenzy.

“I have to vehemently disagree with every word that just came out of his mouth,” said Michael Ross (Back Bay, Fenway), according to a Sept. 28 Daily Free Press article.

“I think this is completely ridiculous,” Ross said. “Hopefully this goes absolutely nowhere.”

It did not, in fact, go anywhere — two months later, the Citgo sign still flashes above Kenmore Square.

In a series of hearings beginning last month, the Council also considered requiring that construction workers tone down the volume on their projects after Roxbury residents complained about noise disrupting their daily lives.

This discussion was in direct contrast to previous considerations by the Council, when councilors had actually considered exempting construction areas from the city noise ordinance while work was being done.

Councilor Charles Yancey (Dorchester, Mattapan) called the situation “unacceptable” and said the Council would meet with inspection officials to eventually fix the problem.

On Dec. 5, Council president Michael Flaherty proposed mandatory background checks on bouncers at Boston’s clubs and restaurants following the February murder of Imette St. Guillen, a 24-year-old Boston-area native killed after a night out in New York City.

Staff reporter Sarah Chandonnet contributed to this article.