Community service for man charged with Claflin assaults

Two men who entered a Boston University dormitory Jan. 20, one of whom faced charges of indecent assault and battery, agreed to take probation time and do community service in lieu of a full trial, the district attorney’s office confirmed March 10.

Daniel Glaser, 21, a Lehigh University junior, and Aaron Goodliss, 21, a Johnson ‘ Wales University junior, both of Chestnut Hill, agreed in a March 7 court appearance to resolve the case “short of trial,” because facts already brought by the prosecution supported charges against them and would likely be sufficient for a guilty verdict, had the case gone to trial, said Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office spokesman Jake Wark. Charges against Goodliss and Glaser will be dismissed after their probationary periods, provided they do not re-offend or violate conditions, he said.

BU Police arrested Glaser and Goodliss shortly after 4 a.m. on Jan. 20, after the two reportedly convinced two West Campus residents they did not know to sign them into Claflin Hall, a violation of the BU guest policy. A female 12th-floor Claflin Hall resident told The Daily Free Press that Glaser entered her unlocked room and climbed into her bed, as Goodliss stood at the doorway, laughing.

After she said she forced him out of her bed and into the hallway, roommates of the second alleged victim in a nearby room told the Free Press Glaser entered their unlocked dorm room and attempted to climb into a female resident’s lofted bed using a chair. The residents said Glaser, apparently drunk, fell off of the chair. Glaser left the room with Goodliss, who had stayed at the doorway, and headed for the stairs; they were detained by the BUPD and positively identified by witnesses, according to the prosecution.

Glaser confirmed that he entered Claflin Hall twice that night in an interview with the Free Press last week. He said he entered the residence hall with Goodliss and residents they had met at a party that night, and then left on his own. Glaser re-entered the dorm after being signed in by students who did not know him and he said he and Goodliss wandered the halls, making noise and knocking on doors, but had “no intentions of hurting anyone.”

Glaser confirmed he entered two dorm rooms on the 12th floor and sat on a bed, which he said he did not know was occupied. After a female resident realized he was there and told him to go, Glaser said he and Goodliss went to another room. In this room, Glaser said he steadied himself by leaning on a bed while he was skipping around, accidentally brushing his hand on the resident in the bed.

Glaser was charged with two counts of indecent assault and battery, two counts of unarmed burglary and one count of breaking and entering at nighttime — all felonies — at a Jan. 22 arraignment in Brighton District Court. Assistant District Attorney Megan O’Rourke alleged Glaser “groped” the assault victims and touched their breasts at the arraignment.

Judge David Donnelly reduced the charges against Glaser to two counts of assault and battery and one count of breaking an entering, all misdemeanor charges, and set probationary conditions March 7. If Glaser breaks terms of his probation or is arrested again in the next two years, the case will go back on track to trial; if not, charges will be dismissed, Wark said.

Donnelly ordered Glaser to stay away from BU and have no contact with the alleged assault victims. Glaser must complete 200 hours of community service and undergo substance abuse testing, evaluation and treatment, Wark said.

Goodliss, who was originally charged with breaking and entering at nighttime and possession of marijuana, agreed to the Class D substance charge and a reduced misdemeanor charge of breaking and entering, Wark said. He faces similar probation conditions as Glaser for one year, and must complete 100 hours of community service, Wark said.

“It’s an appropriate resolution given the fact that no one was injured,” Wark said. “It’s a fact pattern that is frankly disturbing, but one that does not necessarily mandate jail time.”

“We’re hopeful that both young men will avail themselves of the opportunity to learn just how dangerous alcohol abuse can be, and think twice before gaining access to property that is not theirs,” he said.