New kids on the block

Last year, Marisha Schumacher-Hodge and Casey Brown carried the Boston University women’s soccer team offensively with 14 and 11 points, respectively. But at this point in the 2008 campaign, the two have combined for four points and one goal.
The slack has been picked up, however, by a number of different Terriers. Juniors Emily Pallotta and Farrell McClernon lead BU with seven points apiece. Pallotta tied for third on the team in scoring in 2007, while McClernon, who notched just seven points last season, is second on the team in shots (25).
Amazingly, McClernon is only trailing sophomore Corie Halasz, who has blasted 27 shots through 13 games despite not being a full-time player. For much of the season, Halasz has split time at the right midfielder position with freshman Jessica Luscinski, who has booted 18 shots of her own. As a tandem, Halasz and Luscinski have totaled seven points, and at various points of the season each has been looked upon as the spark plug to a BU offensive breakthrough.
On Sept. 7, Luscinski made her first collegiate start at the then-No. 19 University of Connecticut. From her wide position, the freshman dominated the game, registering three shots in the game’s first 11 minutes ‘-‘- including what would turn out to be the game-winner 10:20 into the first half.
In addition to making plays in the box, Luscinski provided a major threat with her ability to find space to kick effective crosses from her wide position. Luscinksi’s ability to open up opposing defenses helped trigger a three-game winning streak over UConn, the University of Wisconsin and Northeastern University from Sept. 7 to 14.
Halasz netted goals in back-to-back games against the University at Albany on Sept. 28 and Dartmouth College on Oct. 1. Halasz’s aggressive shooting tendencies paid off in both games, especially in the Albany contest when the sophomore booted a ball from approximately 35 yards out that flew just over the fingertips of the goalkeeper and into the back of the net.
Against Dartmouth, Halasz kept the heat on goalie Laurel Peak all game long, putting five of her six shots on goal. Halasz, who was in the game as a back, scored the go-ahead goal at 37:15, assisted by Luscinski.
If and when Schumacher-Hodge and Brown start getting their names in the box score with more regularity, BU’s offense could really take off. More big wins like Sunday’s 4-0 beatdown of the University of Vermont could be in the cards for the surging Terriers.

Kibbles and Bits
In four games since Sept. 24, the Terriers are outshooting opponents 85-28 and outscoring them 7-1. . . . On the season, BU is outshooting foes 89-41 in the first half, but it trails in second-half shots, 81-79. . . . After not seeing the field in the team’s first 10 games, freshman goalkeeper Annie Tooley has played in two of the Terriers’ last three games, registering one save in 56:11 of action and not allowing a goal.

1. p.s. Brown is the 2008 defender of the year (America East Conference)for the second year in a row and Shumacher Hodge is the 2008 midfielder of the year (America East Conference). Next time you decide to bash a BU athlete maybe you should actually go to their games and watch them play instead of reporting based on stats. IGNORANNNNNNNNNT.