Field Hockey, Sports

Ranked foe highlights weekend slate

Another shot at a conference opponent and a ranked team awaits the Boston University field hockey team this weekend, as it plays host to Fairfield University tomorrow and visits No. 19 Providence College Sunday.
The Terriers (5-7, 1-0 America East) have the reigning America East Rookie of the Week on their side going into the weekend. Freshman Giovanna Monaco was recognized after leading the Terriers to a 3-2, comeback victory at the University of New Hampshire in their conference opener last week. The team is aiming to recover from its last game, a 2-0 loss to No. 9 Duke University.
Joining the conference just last season, the visiting Stags (4-9, 1-0 AE) are still the newest members of America East. Fairfield had a slow start this year, losing six of its first seven games. But the Stags have turned their season around in recent weeks, winning three of their last six games ‘-‘- including their first-ever conference win last weekend against the University of Vermont.
Leading the Stags is the current America East Player of the Week, senior Molly Byrnes, who earned the award after scoring both her team’s goals last weekend. Senior Emily Janis paces the team statistically with five goals and three assists, while sophomore Jennifer Utz and freshman Megan Ambrose share time in goal.
The Terriers have handled Fairfield easily in their three matchups, outscoring the Stags 13-1. The teams faced off in 2005 before Fairfield joined the conference and again last season, when the Terriers downed the Stags at Fairfield, 4-1.
A Sunday ride to Rhode Island brings the’ Friars (8-5, 1-2 Big East Conference). Projected to finish fourth in its conference, Providence has exceeded expectations so far. With three of its losses against ranked teams, Providence has won three of four, including its last conference game, 3-0, at Villanova University.
Junior goalkeeper Rachel Chamberlain has been rocksolid for the Friars, bringing in three individual awards in the last week. Chamberlain earned Big East Defensive Player of the Week, ECAC Goalkeeper of the Week and WomensFieldHockey.com Player of the Week honors for allowing just three goals in 231 minutes of action last week, leading the Friars to two wins in three games. Offensively, junior forward Nellie Poulin leads the team in goals (8) and shots (39).
The Friars and Terriers have played each other on a regular basis over the past several seasons, with BU leading the series, 15-9. In their last meeting one year ago, the then-No. 20 Terriers defeated the then-No. 17 Friars, 2-1.