UNH set to invade Walter Brown

In the midst of a daunting six-game homestand, the No. 10 Boston University’s women’s hockey team will commence Hockey East play tonight against the No. 4 University of New Hampshire at Walter Brown Arena.
BU (3-2-1) enters tonight’s game as a nationally ranked team for the first time in the program’s four-year history, thanks to success against a challenging early-season schedule that included a win over No. 6 Mercyhurst College and a tie with No. 9 St. Lawrence University.
The schedule won’t get any easier when the Wildcats (4-0-2), BU’s highest-ranked opponent so far this season, come to town.
UNH boasts a dynamic offense that has averaged 3.33 goals per game ‘-‘- third best in Hockey East ‘-‘- and has not been held to fewer than two goals in a game this season.
Sophomore forward Jenn Wakefield, who ranks second in the conference with six goals and third with 10 points, leads the offense. Wakefield’s teammates, senior forward Sam Faber (5-4-9) and junior forward Kelly Paton (3-5-8), have also been racking up points for the Wildcats.
In net, sophomore Kayley Herman has started every game for UNH this season, leading the conference with 369:47 minutes played. She boasts a 2.11 goals-against-average and a .906 save percentage but has yet to post a shutout.
UNH plays an aggressive style of hockey, as evidenced by its offensive numbers. Its defense, however, has at times been vulnerable, leading to some close and relatively high-scoring games. For example, the Wildcats tied the University of Connecticut, 3-3, in a shootout in Storrs, Conn., last week.
BU will counter with some offense of its own, and perhaps with some stronger goaltending.
Senior forward Gina Kearns has opened her senior campaign on fire with four goals and three assists for a team-leading seven points, including two goals in last Saturday’s 2-1 win over Clarkson University.
Last weekend was also a big one for junior forward Melissa Anderson, who notched her first goal of the year Sunday against St. Lawrence after leading the team in goals last season. After netting her first of the season, Anderson’s scoring should increase as the season progresses.
Meanwhile, freshman forward Jenelle Kohanchuk (two goals, four assists) has silently had a strong season in her first year against collegiate competition.
But, the main story thus far has been BU’s goaltending. Junior Melissa Haber and senior Alysse Wilcox are arguably one of the best goaltending duos in college hockey.’ ‘ ‘
Haber virtually stood on her head in last week’s victory over Clarkson, making 28 saves while allowing one goal. Wilcox, the clear-cut No. 1 starter, played extremely well for 57 minutes Sunday, stopping 31 shots before a pair of power-play goals by St. Lawrence late in the third period spoiled the Terriers’ efforts.
One of these two netminders, along with the rest of the BU defense, will be charged with stopping the aforementioned potent UNH offense.
With the start of conference play upon the Terriers, BU coach Brian Durocher said he can’t help but remember watching a pair of victories snatched from his team’s grips by the Wildcats over the last few years.
In a Dec. 1, 2007 matchup in Durham, N.H., then-senior UNH Jennifer Hitchcock lifted the then-No. 1 Wildcats to victory with an overtime goal with less than three seconds left in the extra session.
‘We were 2.5 seconds away last year up in UNH, and we were [up] 3-1 here in [Walter Brown Arena two seasons ago]. So we’ve played with them in a couple of good games,’ Durocher said.
Anderson was more frank in how she believes her team will handle UNH.
‘We gotta get UNH. They’ve had us all these other years. It’s our time.’?