Field Hockey, Sports

Late goal nips Terriers

Saturday showed that big dogs really do rule, as the Great Danes of the University at Albany defeated the Boston University field hockey team, 1-0, at Alumni Turf Field in Albany, N.Y.
The game remained scoreless until the final three minutes of regulation when Albany’s Michele Polizois broke the 0-0 tie with what proved to be the game-winning goal.
Although BU (8-9, 2-2 America East) was saddled with the loss, the Terriers played well in the evenly matched contest until the final minutes. In the first half, both teams drew two corners and the Terriers outshot the Great Danes, 3-2.
‘Overall, the team had a very good first half,’ BU coach Sally Starr said. ‘We played them pretty even the entire game until the last 10 minutes. Albany is a very good team, and we competed well against them.’
The Terrier defense crumbled in the second half when Albany (9-9, 3-1) generated 11 shots on goal and BU managed only two. Albany also earned eight corners in the period compared to two for the Terriers.’
‘We need to have more poise in our circle,’ Starr said. ‘We gave them unnecessary corners because our defense got a little impatient. In games like that, those things can make a big difference.’
Though the BU defense was shaky in the final minutes, sophomore goalkeeper Kim Kastuk kept the Terriers in contention by making five saves.
The loss, however, fell on the entire team.
‘There was an inability to capitalize on scoring opportunities on our part. Both teams had a lot of opportunities, and we didn’t take advantage of them,’ Starr said.
Junior Nikki Lloyd and sophomore Maryette Stuart each recorded two shots on goal, while junior Haley Robinson registered one.’
BU returns to action Wednesday against Harvard University. It will mark the last game of the regular season at Jack Barry Field and, as such is Senior Day, there will be a ceremony honoring BU’s three graduating seniors: Hayly Ross, Lizzie Perreault and Holly Wiles.