Off to the races: Basketball teams thrill fans at opening rally

Case Gymnasium was filled Friday night, as students, faculty, alumni and staff were treated to quite a show.’
The annual Terrier Tip-Off served as an appetizer to the upcoming Boston University men’s and women’s basketball seasons.
Women’s coach Kelly Greenberg and men’s coach Dennis Wolff each addressed the crowd during the festivities.
‘I think if you guys come out and follow us, we’ll have a team that will win this year,’ Wolff, now in his 15th season, told spectators.
‘We’d really love to have a lot of you for every game this year,’ Greenberg said to the crowd filling the bleachers.
Students received free T-shirts as they entered The Roof and could present the shirts at Qdoba in Kenmore Square in exchange for a free meal following the Tip-Off.’
The event featured a variety of performances, including acts from the BU Cheering Squad, BU Dance Team and the children of the Boston Celtics’ Dance Team. There were additional performances from the BU Band and Drumline.’
Dean of Students Kenneth Elmore and College of General Studies Assistant Dean Stacey Godnick competed in a shootout with help from students in the crowd, while four men’s and women’s basketball players took the court in another shootout.’
Junior guard Carlos Strong won the dunk contest over freshman forward Jake O’Brien in the finals. Last year’s winner, sophomore forward John Holland, failed to reach the finals.
The men’s home opener is Nov. 14 at Agganis Arena against George Washington University, while the women don’t get under way until Nov. 20 when they meet Siena College at Case.