Terriers fetch top dollar at charity dating auction

Boston University juniors John Passaro and Pat McCarthy are used to spending time in the water as members of the swim team. But Passaro and McCarthy took being soaked to a whole new level when they came out on the stage Monday night in nothing but wet dress shirts and their drawers.

Passaro and McCarthy were part of the first-ever Terrier Takeout in Metcalf Hall, which hosted more than 300 students in a bidding war for dates with BU athletes and mascots to raise money for the College for Every Student organization, which works with public schools to help underserved students get into and achieve in college.

‘I did not think that it would be this many people, and being an athlete myself, it is nice to see everyone here,’ College of Arts and Sciences sophomore Casey Jordan, who is on the track team, said.

The men and women’s varsity team members came to bid or watch others bid on their teammates for the highest price. A total of 45 students were auctioned off, including the Hot Dog, Jesus and Rhett the Terrier, who sported a Hawaiian shirt for the occasion.

The bidders raised nearly $3,000 in their attempts to score dates to such places as Qdoba Mexican Grill, Assistant Dean of Students Daryl Deluca’s Rooftop Tours and b.good.

The students up for auction wrote their own biographies, incorporating likes, dislikes, and sometimes jokes, poems and songs and strutted down a makeshift runway to upbeat dance music, throwing the occasional article of clothing into the crowd.

CAS senior Robyn Fialkow went for $150, the highest bid on a woman. The announcer introduced her as ‘the man of BU’ because of all her extracurricular activities.’

‘This is for a good cause, and it also fosters school spirit,’ Fialkow said.

The most money bid on a man was $175 for men’s ice hockey defenseman Eric Gryba, who came out on stage wearing only his jeans and whipping his belt around his neck.’ ‘

‘This is a fun and lively event,’ CAS freshman Therese McNamee said. ‘I love seeing the school spirit. It’s something I miss from high school.’

‘ ‘We did this because they don’t have what we have,’ Dog Pound leader David Barth, a CAS senior, said. ‘We cannot wait to see what happens once the school gets a hold of the money we raised.’