For a night, Metcalf is a gangsta’s paradise

The last time Boston University senior Lara Malins saw rap artist Coolio perform, he was singing the opening for the television sitcom ‘Keenan & Kel’ on Nickelodeon.

‘I think I was eight the last time I heard some of his songs,’ Malins, a College of Arts and Sciences senior, said. ‘It was really different from when I saw him on Nick at Nite.’

For Coolio, who flew from Los Angeles for the engagement, the trip to Boston was his most memorable.

‘Of all the times I’ve been to Boston, this is the nicest I’ve been treated,’ he told the Daily Free Press after the concert.

More than 700 students crowded into Metcalf Hall on Friday for the men’s basketball home opener after-party performance by Coolio.

‘I haven’t heard any of his jams since elementary school,’ CAS senior Bliss Piverger said. ‘I’m curious to see what he has to offer, if he has any new songs.’

Student Activities Office Assistant Director Jeff Murphy said SAO worked closely with the Department of Athletics, Agganis Arena and the Office of Development and Alumni Affairs to create a list of artists who would attract students to the game and its after-party. They decided on Coolio, because the students Murphy talked to were attracted to the nostalgic quality he evoked.

‘We wanted to generate some excitement about the men’s basketball game,’ Murphy said. ‘If people go to one game, maybe they’ll go become at fan. The biggest problem is getting them through the door. Every college kid knows ‘Gangsta’s Paradise.”

Students were required to present their game tickets to enter the after-party, but though more than 4,500 people attended the game, fewer than half of them arrived at the concert. As a result, some students said they thought the event could have been advertised more effectively.

‘I thought Coolio was fun, but I don’t think he got enough press,’ School of Management sophomore Alyssa Kovach said.

Coolio wore a BU basketball jersey with his name on the back and donned his signature vertical dread locks as he interacted with the crowd.

‘When I say B, you say U,’ he chanted into the microphone.’

He began chanting, ‘Say ‘yeah’, say ‘Hell yeah,” before ending with a number of expletives that excited and shocked some audience members.

‘The concert was kind of what I expected,’ CAS senior Marisa Kirio said. ‘I was surprised by some of the things he said, though.’

Coolio sang classics including ‘Gangsta’s Paradise’ and ‘1, 2, 3, 4 (Sumpin’ New),’ while students jumped, danced and crowd surfed. Coolio even gave a birthday shout-out.

‘Go get drunk,’ he said. ‘But don’t drive.’

Even after the show ended, at least 200 dedicated fans stayed until the lights turned back on to get one last glimpse of the rap artist.

‘Coolio’s signing our sign right now,’ CAS senior Sarah Hutchinson said. ‘I think I videoed half of the concert. I was really impressed with how it all went.’