Finance & Economy, News

Slim wallets can lead to bulging waists

As the financial crisis empties pockets, many people are finding the stress of an unstable economic future to be both mentally and physically debilitating, they said.

Dr. Randall Zusman, of Massachusetts General Hospital, said there is a possible link between the failing economy and patients’ health conditions.’ More patients he has seen have an increase in blood pressure, stress-level and weight gain, he said.

There is a noticeable increase in patients who mention stress about the economy is impacting their health, Zusman, the director of the division of hypertension at MGH, said.

‘Going from more expensive fresh food and vegetables to processed food, which retains high levels of salt, and exercising less because people cannot afford gym memberships are factors that increase blood pressure,’ he said.

People who are financially strapped also tend to cut down on medication to save money, Zusman said.

‘I know people who take medication every other day instead of every day for medication to last longer to diminish health care cost,’ he said.

When people worry about problems such as not making enough money to pay for food, shelter and health care, it increases stress levels, Boston University Clinical Associate Professor of Medicine and Psychiatry Robert Sokolove said.

‘Anxiety and depression can be due to stress,’ he said. ‘Anxiety is usually the state when you are anticipating not being able to meet specific needs and demands. Depression happens when you give up hope, when you don’t have any control to make things better.’

Zusman said he has observed various physical conditions that are associated with stress.

‘A lot of my patients have anxiety or depression disorders,’ Zusman said.

Patients should discuss financial issues with their physicians, Zusman said. Doctors can give samples to patients to supplement their supplies. They may also be able to find programs for those who are unable to afford medication.

Sokolove said people should turn to daily aerobic exercise, relaxation training and medications to cope with stress and other psychological problems.

Once people’s bodies are in control, they can turn to de-stressing their workdays. An essential way to lower stress at work is for businesses to establish good credit so they can borrow money to pay their workers if necessary, Soklove said.

‘The most important thing is to give people the economic security that allows them not to worry about money,’ he said.

A poor economy may result in stress and unhealthy habits, but it does not necessarily equal poor health, Boston University Professor of Economics Randall Ellis said.’

‘People with less money buy fewer cigarettes and drink less,’ he said. ‘Obesity goes down when people are worried about their jobs. Mortality rate also decreases during recession because people are less risky and more careful.’

It is too early to know if there is significant cut in the demand for hospitals, Ellis said. He said people are probably more cautious and having fewer medical procedures.

Whether experts agree or disagree on the costs and benefits of the current economic recession, people need to take serious care of their physical and mental health, Ellis said.

‘Be pragmatic, and remember that those lifestyle changes are just as important as medical care,’ Ellis said.