Arts & Entertainment, The Muse

BU’s Love in Stockholm

The Love in Stockholm CD release party was responsible for all of those neon bracelets and big black X’s floating around Harvard Avenue on Friday night. The band, made up of Boston University students and recent BU grads celebrated at Harper’s Ferry with a crowd of fans and loyal followers. The Allston venue was packed with young, local folk anxious to catch a glimpse of the popular funk band and pick up a copy of their much-anticipated album, ‘Too Much Love.’ The CD features five original songs, all written by BU alums Charlie Rockwell and Brendan McBrien: ‘Don’t Be Fooled,’ ‘New Obsession,’ ‘The Collector,’ ‘Ordinary Man’ and ‘Allston.’ With a saxophone player, horns, and an original funk-rock style, Love in Stockholm gives the Boston music scene a kick it really needs.

The city is a big part of the Love in Stockholm dynamic (the band even thanks the citizens of Allston inside the cover of their CD) and after watching the performance on Friday night, it is no surprise why so many’ flocked to their show. Hip-hop duo the Genetics warmed up the crowd with a soulful spin of their own catalog. Rockwell and his bandmates took over the floor around eleven-thirty with an energy and buzz that challenged the crowd to keep up with them. The band played both new and old tracks, including their own version of Credence Clearwater Revival’s ‘Fortunate Son.’

There wasn’t a moment to stand still the entire night as the crowd got into it, responding to LIS and even chanting along with the choruses at the band’s request.

Not surprisingly, once the encore was over and the house lights went up, everyone in the room seemed to flock to the back table to grab a CD. It’s hard to find a local band with a truly soulful sound and style, but these boys surely fit the bill.