Sports

FADEM: Statistically staggering

I can’t waste any words ‘-‘- this year at BU has been statistically staggering. I’m jumping into it immediately.

Let’s start with the incredible exposure the school has been enjoying on SportsCenter’s Top 10. Mike Lynch has to be happy about this ‘-‘- Jason Lawrence has weighed in at number four and number two, and Brandon Yip has placed seventh.

Then, there’s John Holland, who is the proud owner of a number one play, although about three other dunks of his could have made the list on the show this season.

Sarah Dalton scored eight goals against William & Mary on Saturday. That is not a typo. Eight goals is a school record (clearly), and the fact that one player can put up nearly three hat tricks in one game blows my mind. With these eight, Sarah now has 166 career goals. With 11 more, she’ll break the BU record for goals in a career. If she doesn’t break the record, I swear I’ll never wear the hot dog costume again.

The senior class of the women’s basketball team has been in on the fun as well. Christine Kinneary set a BU record of her own this season, in assists. Last year, she set the school record in minutes played (1,201) and assists (214) in a season. This year, she broke the career mark at BU, and is still trucking with a total of 505 career assists.

Kristi Dini set a BU record and an America East record for 3-pointers in a season ‘-‘- currently at 82. With only two more three pointers, she breaks the BU career mark (172).

Jesyka-Burks Wiley became the 17th 1,000-point scorer in BU women’s basketball history and currently sits eighth on the Terriers’ all-time list with 1,195 points.

All in all, this women’s basketball senior class is extremely good. I tried to think of a more profound word than extreme, but there isn’t one. They’re the cream of the crop, and boast a 73-45 record in their time here. The 73 wins are another BU record, by the way.

They are conference champions for the first time in 21 years. Dini told me she makes all her 3s for me, so I’m confused ‘-‘- should I be thanking her or should she be thanking me? I’ll just thank God for letting me go to this school while these ladies are playing in scarlet and white.

Corey Lowe is in on the fad as well, joining 27 other men’s players in the 1,000-point club. Corey now has 1,301 points in his career, which puts him 10th all time in BU’s 100 years of basketball. He’s number one on the BU all-time list in career 3-pointers with 232. It helps when you also hold the record and the second best mark for 3s in a season (92 last year and 79 this season). If I may, I’ll take a great quote from Corey himself: ‘Buckets is buckets.’ Only he likes the ones that get you a third point for.

John Holland. At one point this season, the man was averaging almost 42 minutes a game. I’ll have you know there are only 40 minutes in regulation college basketball games. He averaged 39.7 minutes per game in conference play, which means he sat out for about 20 seconds every game.

Jake O’Brien, Corey Lowe and John Holland ‘-‘- the best group of shooters BU has ever seen. There isn’t a three-headed monster that comes close to the accomplishments of these studs in BU’s illustrious history. Together, they’ve scored 215 of BU’s 255 3-pointers. The big three alone were 17 treys away from breaking BU’s school record when the season ended. On top of all this, they’ve combined to score 1,354 of the team’s 1,983 points ‘-‘- 68 percent of the Terriers’ total points.

The program now has 1,001 wins in 100 years. I shouldn’t need help with this math, but as a COM student I do ‘-‘- that averages out to just more than 10 wins a year. Look at the bright side though ‘-‘- BU only has 984 losses. Not quite Philadelphia Phillies status yet.

It’s a little sad that it’s taken the basketball program 100 years to get 1,000 wins, given that Jack Parker only needed 36 years to get 800. He’s sitting at 806 right now ‘-‘- I’m hoping that at the end of the year that number will be 816.

Kieran Millan makes me happy, mostly because he is playing completely opposite of how Brett Bennett played. (Side note first: Brett Bennett was signed by the University of Wisconsin. The pressure is on the BU athletic department to figure out a way to get the Badgers to Agganis next year.) Anyways, Millan’s wining percentage at times this year was higher than his save percentage. Right now, his save percentage is a Curry-like .926 and his winning percentage is a nice .833. I like his non-loss percentage, which is .958. Wow.

BU’s overall record this year is an impressive 248-75-16. I can’t stop saying this: it’s a good year to be a Terrier, and it’s not over yet.