A turn for the best

Five years ago, there was no Boston University women’s ice hockey team. In 2005, all coach Brian Durocher had to start with was a few talented recruits and the legacy of a great college hockey school supporting him and his players.

My, how things have changed.

This season, Durocher helped put together an exceedingly successful program that tore through the first two months of women’s Hockey East play, pulled off epic upsets against ranked opponent after ranked opponent, and recorded the team’s highest Hockey East seed ever. The Terriers made the national rankings for the first time, reaching as high as the No. 4 team in the land. Durocher also led his team to its first Hockey East Tournament semifinal game this season.’

In his short tenure as head coach, Durocher has transformed a team that was once an annual underdog in a conference of powerhouse programs like the No. 4 University of New Hampshire and archrival No. 6 Boston College. This season, he has turned his squad into one that had a shot at being the standard bearer for Hockey East in the NCAA Tournament.’

The Terriers ended the season with an 18-11-7 overall record and a 14-6-1 conference record ‘- the fewest losses they have ever recorded. The Terriers lost, 3-2, to BC in the semifinal match in the Hockey East Tournament on March 7, ending what might be remembered as a landmark year for the program.

This season not only marked several great accomplishments for the team overall, but also saw standout performances from several individual Terriers. Veterans and newcomers alike showed what they could bring to the team in terms of pure talent on offense, defense and between the posts.

Senior co-captain Gina Kearns became the first player in Terrier history to reach 100 points in her career, finishing her four seasons with 102 (50 goals, 52 assists) and cementing her legacy by becoming the program’s all-time leading scorer. Kearns was tied for first on the team in goals with freshman Jenelle Kohanchuk. Each scored 15 goals this season.

Kohanchuk was the team’s breakout star this year. Despite only playing 28 games, Kohanchuk managed not only to tie Kearns, but also to lead the team in points with 31. The freshman was an essential part of the Terriers’ offense this season and will be a valuable asset for the rest of her career at BU.

Junior Melissa Anderson was second only to Kohanchuk in points, with 30 at the end of the season. Anderson also provided the team with a fiery demeanor all season, as evidenced by the fact that she spent 64 minutes in the penalty box with 28 penalties ‘-‘- nearly 30 more minutes than any other player on the team.

Senior Allyse Wilcox ended her tenure as the Terriers’ goalie this season. Willcox is the team’s all-time leader in goals-against average (2.32), wins (43) and shutouts (7).

The sophomore class was also well-represented this season. Second-year players Jillian Kirchner and Lauren Cherewyk had 25 and 23 points, respectively.

Aside from Kearns, the Terriers lose nine seniors this season, all from the inaugural class of 2005. Veterans Caroline Bourdeau, Kelley Karnan, Caitlin Reddy, co-captain Sarah Russell, Erin Seman, Amanda Shaw, Nikki Wiart, Laurel Koller and Wilcox all played their final game for the Terriers last week.’ ‘

Even with all they accomplished this season, the Terriers were unable to get their hands on the Hockey East prize that has eluded them in their four years in Division I. This year’s Hockey East crown went to the University of New Hampshire ‘- its fourth-consecutive tournament title.

BU played some of its best hockey of the season in October and November. It gave its Hockey East and NCAA chances an early boost with wins against then-No. 5 Mercyhurst College and No. 4 New Hampshire. They rolled their opponents during a 10-game unbeaten streak, a feat previously untouched in program history.

1. well written but left out the exploits of a player very integral in this years success.<br/>#27 Tara Watchorn enjoyed the following accomplishments….<br/>…TOP SCORING ROOKIE D IN HOCKEY EAST<br/>…VOTED TO THE HOCKEY EAST ”ALL ROOKIE ”TEAM<br/>…SCORED 4 STRAIGHT SHOOTOUT GOALS WITHOUT MISSING<br/>…2 TIME ROOKIE OF THE WEEK<br/> <br/>AND….MOST IMPORTANTLY WAS THE ONLY TERRIER TO MAKE THE HOCKEY EAST ALLSTAR TEAM….AN AMAZING FEAT AS A ROOKIE !!<p/>ALSO…PLEASE BE SURE THAT I AM NOT TAKING ANYTHING AWAY FROM THE FINE ACCOMPLISHMENTS OF ALL THE TERRIERS MENTIONED