Villanova coach to head Terrier bball

Patrick Chambers, an associate head coach at Villanova University, will be the next head coach of the Boston University men’s basketball team, according to the BU Athletic Department.

Chambers was the longest-tenured member of Jay Wright’s coaching staff on the Final Four Wildcats, accumulating a 96-37 record in four years with the team. He joined ‘Nova’s staff in 2004 as the director of basketball operations and became an assistant coach in 2005 before being named an associate head coach last September.

The job will be the first head coaching position for the 37-year-old Chambers, who resides in Bryn Mawr, Pa. He graduated from Philadelphia University with a degree in marketing.

Chambers replaces Dennis Wolff, BU’s previous coach of 15 seasons and the winningest coach in program history. After days of rumors, the Athletic Department officially announced the hire Monday afternoon and will introduce Chambers in a press conference Wednesday at 11 a.m.

After he graduated from Philadelphia University, Chambers was an assistant coach at Delaware Valley College and worked as a top varsity assistant at Episcopal Academy in 1999. Chambers also served as a special assistant to his former college coach, Herb Magee, at Philadelphia University, where he aided player development off the court, worked as a scout and designed workout regiments.

The Athletic Department narrowed its search to Chambers and University of Tennessee associate head coach Tony Jones, but Jones withdrew his name from consideration late last week, leaving Chambers as the frontrunner.