Ice Dogs honored before Sox-Yanks

The Boston University men’s ice hockey team was honored last night at Fenway Park when it threw out the first pitch before the Red Sox played the New York Yankees.

In front of a packed house at America’s Most Beloved Ballpark, BU coach Jack Parker threw out the honorary pitch as the entire BU national championship team looked on from behind the mound.

The Terriers were escorted to the pitcher’s mound amongst cheers and jubilation as their miraculous comeback in the national title game was shown on the big screen above the center-field bleachers.

‘Being a local guy, growing up in Boston, this was an unbelievable experience,’ BU co-captain John McCarthy said. ‘Everyone was in awe when they walked us out on the field. It’s something I will never forget. It’s a huge honor.’

Parker threw a strike to Red Sox center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury to mark the occasion. Ellsbury would, later in the game, become the first Red Sox player to steal home since Jose Offerman accomplished the feat in 1999. Ellsbury swiped home off of Yankee starter Andy Pettitte with the bases loaded in the fifth inning.

BU scored two goals in less than a minute to force overtime in the national title game, eventually beating Miami University 11 minutes into the extra frame.’ It was the Terriers’ first national title since 1995.

The Terriers became the second Boston collegiate sports team to throw out the first pitch at Fenway in two years ‘-‘- the Boston College national championship ice hockey team did so last year.