STAFF EDIT: Keep students in the loop

Whether Boston University students living in Warren Towers were getting ready to make the most of the few weekends that remain this semester, or they were preparing for a long night of studying, most ended up on Commonwealth Avenue, and some were trapped in elevators on Saturday night.’ Fortunately, there were no injuries, but the evacuation of Warren highlights the need for improved communication for students and the administration during an emergency.

Electrical malfunctions and other emergencies are bound to happen throughout the year, and there’s often nothing BU can do about it. But for the second time this semester, BU has failed to communicate the vital information students need when they need it. When it was suspected that a gunman had entered the College of Arts and Sciences Feb. 4, the information sent to students via the emergency alert system was unclear, leaving students confused. This time, the largest dormitory on campus was evacuated, and as the night grew later, officials still didn’t know whether students would be allowed back in into the building in a timely manner, and cell phones failed to buzz with BU information.’

Although it was a Saturday night, this was the weekend before the final week of classes.’ Students had final papers to write and exams to study for. They needed to know what was going on from BU officials, so they could plan accordingly. At some point, students would have needed to know if they would be allowed back into to their rooms, in case they needed to make plans to stay with friends in other dorms.

Saturday’s incident is a perfect example of an appropriate time for BU to use the emergency alert system. Many students are away from their dorms on Saturday nights and should be alerted if the building they live in is evacuated.’ They shouldn’t have to rely on word of mouth, and they certainly deserve to know what is going on directly from BU officials. Getting a text message may have been a minor annoyance to the majority of the student population that does not live in Warren, but it would have meant a great deal to residents in need of an update.’

In a time of crisis, the first priority of the BU administration must be to protect the safety of its students. In this aspect, it succeeded, but students need to be clued in as well, especially when their residence is affected.