BU-BC Fenway game official

The Boston University men’s hockey team will face off against archrival Boston College at Fenway Park as part of a Hockey East doubleheader on Friday, Jan. 8, at 7:30 p.m., Hockey East Commissioner Joe Bertagna announced at a press conference Thursday.

‘We’re obviously very excited,’ BU coach Jack Parker said. ‘We’ve been talking about this game with the [athletic directors] at BU and BC for a number of years, talking about a Fenway Park game as a possibility. Every year there was discussion, but Fenway was adding a new section to the park and there was no way we could do anything during the winter months because they were working on the park.

‘We’re very, very fortunate that the NHL has come here [for the 2010 Winter Classic] because that made us come on their coattails and be able to put this game together. I know it will be quite a show for our fans and the city of Boston.’

The historic game, which features the last two national champions, will be preceded by a 4 p.m. women’s game featuring Northeastern University and the University of New Hampshire.

The matchup will be the third outdoor college hockey game in recent years, following the 2001 ‘Cold War’ between Michigan State University and the University of Michigan at Spartan Stadium and a 2006 game at Lambeau Field between the University of Wisconsin and Ohio State University. The Northeastern-UNH game will be the first outdoor women’s game.

‘I’ve been coaching at Boston University for a long time,’ Parker said. ‘Jerry [York’s] been coaching at Boston College for a long time. And this will be without question one of the highlights of our careers -‘-‘- to be on opposite benches, coaching against each other in front of a big crowd at Fenway Park. That’s really something.’

In addition to Parker, new assistant coach Buddy Powers and forwards Nick Bonino, Kevin Gilroy, Andrew’ Glass’ and Ross Gaudet and defenseman David Warsofsky were on hand to represent the Terriers.

‘It’s incredible,’ Bonino said. ‘We’ve heard rumors since the spring, but couldn’t really get a definitive answer. It’s an experience in itself just to watch a game at Fenway, but to be out on the field, or on the ice I should say, is going to be something.’

‘It’s definitely exciting,’ said Warsofsky, a Marshfield native. ‘Growing up in Boston and coming to Red Sox games, just to be a part of that atmosphere and be on that field in a hockey game is gonna be unbelievable.’

Warsofsky said he is also excited about playing outdoors.

‘Growing up, you’re skating on the ponds all the time, playing outdoors with your friends,’ he said. ‘But to be part of a hockey game that actually means something and to have all these fans watching is gonna be special.’

In case there wasn’t enough excitement already, the Terriers will be playing their biggest rival.

‘It’s awesome,’ Bonino said. ‘Everyone has buddies on BC, so we’re all just kind of lucky to be involved in this. We’ll talk about how cool it is, but once we get on the ice, it’ll be BU-BC. I’m sure you’ll see a really good, intense game.’

Tickets for the showdown will go on sale to the public on Sept. 17 and will range in price from $5 to $90. Bertagna said the average ticket price will be around $50 and that approximately 35 percent of the tickets will be $25 or less.