The Muse

The queen’s (not so) royal jubilee

So, you’d assume that the self-proclaimed ‘queen of all media’ would have been tweeting the crap out of Ida Maria walking off stage at her Boston show on Monday night. Perhaps a few scathing blog posts on his 20-million-hits-per-day web site and maybe some speculation ‘-‘- totally unwarranted and without any actual, factual reporting ‘-‘- that drugs and/or alcohol are to blame for the rising star’s troubled performance.

But, no. Not one word was uttered, tweeted, typed or mentioned on any of the multiple social-networking sites to which Perez Hilton regularly contributes and certainly nothing on his astronomically famous web site, PerezHilton.com.

The gossip blogger and frenemy to the stars, has recently been toting his ‘Perez Presents’ tour all over the internet, giving him even further bragging rights (in the past, Perez has taken credit for the successes of Lady GaGa and Mika) for ‘discovering’ new talents Ladyhawke, FrankMusik, Eric Hutchinson, Sliimy, Semi Precious Weapons, and Ida Maria.

Despite the fact that most, if not all of the artists have been touring their home countries (most artists are from overseas) for the past year, and anyone familiar music news would know some of their names, Perez continues to promote his gig as a musical experience worth the $30plus price tag, because it will expose you to a whole ‘new’ world or music.

I’d beg to differ. And I’m sure the mere 250 people who attended the event at the House of Blues would agree, especially once co-headliner Ida Maria had a melt-down during song one-and-a-half, rendering her unable to perform the rest of her set.

The Norwegian rocker seemed less-than-impressed by the dwindling crowd as she took the stage (the three-story music venue can hold more than 2,400 people). She pouted her way through her first tune, refusing to sing the last two lines on the song, and opting, instead, to have a pow-wow with her guitarist, who pleaded with her to continue the performance under hushed mics.

As she led into her second song, the singer put down her own guitar and stood facing the audience folding her arms with an un-entertained, unenthusiastic, ‘I couldn’t care less’ look written all over her face, before storming off mid-song leaving her band clueless. After a brief period of confusion, the stage managers reeled out a screen from which the audience could watch music videos. Already angry concert goers booed as Kanye graced the screen. Management were quick to replace his video with Janet, Madonna and of course, Taylor Swift.

Later, Maria would return from her fit back stage to apologized in broken English.

Fortunately for Maria, she was preceded by the always upbeat FrankMusik, who was cordial about meeting fans at the bar after his set. The musician even stayed cool when asked for ID by the HOB staff when posing for pictures while drinking a beer. ‘This is ridiculous,’ the Brit said. ‘I’ve been drinking since long before most of you were born!’

Semi Precious weapons also took the stage before the catastrophe of the night. Though, audience was probably least familiar with the band’s music of the four scheduled performers, they were more than happy to sing along with catchy choruses like ‘I can’t pay my rent but I’m f—ing gorgeous!’

The eccentric lead singer’s jokes and flamboyant costumes made the set seem like a GaGa-inspired VMA performance, as he paraded around on stage in high-heeled hooker boots, a bedazzled chain-metal-looking body suit and a tattered mesh tank top. ‘Since we’re next to Fenway Park I figured I’d wear something butch,’ he joked.

Ladyhawke took the stage to close out the show, and salvaged what she could of the night post-Maria meltdown. Though the lady was certainly talented, her band did drown her out quite a bit, despite her perfectly on-key voice. She seemed a bit shaky at first, strumming to her guitar and shaking her blond bangs into her eyes as she sang, but the artist quickly warmed up to the audience in between tunes with anecdotes of home.

While the concert did tend to drag at the end of the night (Ladyhawke seemed to be trying to make up for Maria’s too-shot performance) three out of four isn’t bad. Overall it was a fun night, despite the small crowd, tears on stage and the fact that the host, Perez, was nowhere in sight during the show’s blunders.

As of press-time no apology and/or refund has been mentioned to make up for the co-headliner, Maria’s, performance, or lack there of.

1. stood facing the audience folding her arms with an un-entertained, unenthusiastic, I could care less” look written all over her face”.<br/>This means the opposite of what you think it means.<p/>The correct term is “I COULDN’T care less”. If you care about something, you could care less. If you don’t care about something, or there was no way you could possibly have less care for something, you say “You COULDN’T care less”.