Women’s soccer travels crosstown to face Huskies

Looking to bounce back from two losses at the UConn Classic, the Boston University women’s soccer team will make a quick trip to intercity rival Northeastern University Friday, at 6 p.m.’

The Terriers (2-3-2), who started the season off with two wins, have struggled in their past five games, going 0-3-2.’ Three of those games, however, have been against teams nationally ranked in the National Soccer Coaches Association of America top-25.’

Offensively the Terriers have been led by sophomore Jessica Luscinski and senior Farrell McClernon, both of whom have tallied two goals.’

At the keeper position, BU coach Nancy Feldman has split time between senior Janie Reilly and sophomore Annie Tooley. When conference play begins in a week, Reilly likely will once again be the starter in net.’ Her impressive play against strong non-conference opposition is the main story of the Terrier’s season up to this point.’

Reilly currently has the lowest career goals against average in BU history. Her current 0.56 GAA has been one of the reasons why BU (2-3-2) managed to tie No. 7 West Virginia University and keep the game close with the University of Connecticut.’ Her stats are expected to improve when the Terriers begin conference play due to the less competitive teams in America East.’

Since 1998, BU has faced Northeastern (4-1-0) nine times, going 7-1-1 in those contests. Last year, the Terriers defeated the Huskies 1-0 at Nickerson Field thanks to Reilly’s shutout in net and current junior Lina Cords’ goal ‘-‘- Cords is out for the season with an injury. The one game the Huskies won was in 2004 in the America East Tournament.’

Northeastern has started off the season on the right foot, its lone loss coming at the hands of No. 18 University of Georgia. In their last game, Northeastern squeaked out a 1-0 victory in double overtime against the University of New Hampshire. Senior co-captain Liz Rebello headed in the game-winner with assists from freshman Sandra Magnusdottir and sophomore Kelly Mathews.’

The Huskies have been dominant on both sides of the ball, outscoring their opponents by an impressive 8-2 margin.’

Freshman Devin Petta is one of the reasons for Northeastern’s success early in the season. Already honored as a Colonial Athletic Association Co-Rookie of the Week, she leads the team in goals (4), assists (2) and points (10).’ The Terriers should also watch out for the crafty Rebello, who has tallied two goals and an assist this season.’

The goalkeeping of sophomore Stephanie Gordon is another reason for the Huskies’ strong start to the season. Gordon, a member of last year’s CAA All-Tournament Team, boasts a 0.39 GAA and a .933 save percentage. This season she has also held opponents scoreless in three of Northeastern’s four victories.

Northeastern is currently ranked No. 1 in the NSCAA Mid-Atlantic regional poll. Nationally, the NSCAA has ranked the Huskies in the ‘also receiving votes’ category in front of schools such as the University of Minnesota, Michigan State University and Connecticut.’

Friday’s away game marks a two game stretch when BU will face two of their three biggest regional rivals. The Terriers already lost their first game against regional rival Boston College in early September by a 2-0 score.’ ‘

BU will conclude its regional rivalries against Harvard University at Nickerson Field on Sunday, at 5 p.m. The Terriers have the chance to show off their talent on a national level, as the game will be covered on Fox Soccer Channel.’ ‘