Field hockey set to take on No. 4 UVA and No. 15 ODU

The Boston University field hockey team takes its first win streak of the season down south against two ranked teams this weekend, facing the No. 4 University of Virginia and No. 15 Old Dominion University Friday and Sunday, respectively.

The Terriers (3-5) are riding high after routing Sacred Heart University at home and slipping past Dartmouth College on the road last weekend. But Friday’s tilt with the Cavaliers (8-0) presents the biggest challenge BU has faced since a well-played defeat at the top-ranked University of Maryland on Aug. 29.

‘As far as the wins we had this past weekend, it just helps us to gain a little more confidence,’ BU coach Sally Starr said. ‘We have some outstanding games in front of us. First of all, Virginia is an outstanding team. They’re skilled at every position, fast at every position, definitely a favorite for the national championship. Our game on Friday gives us an opportunity to really see how far we’ve come since our Maryland game.’

Led by sophomore Paige Selenski and freshman Tara Puffenberger with seven goals each, UVA has dramatically outscored its opponents 31-4, including five shutouts. Yet recent history favors the Terriers, who have beaten the Cavaliers for three-straight seasons, including an exciting penalty-stroke finish at Jack Barry Field last season. The rivalry is heightened this year as junior goalkeeper Kim Kastuk transferred from BU to Virginia in the offseason.

Next up are the Lady Monarchs (3-5), who recently snapped a five-game losing streak with an impressive win at No. 10 Duke University. ODU is paced by senior Katie Ueberroth’s six points (4 goals, 2 assists) and senior goalkeeper Kelly Driscoll.

Like BU, the Lady Monarchs’ record is deceiving, as they have had an extremely difficult schedule, even more so than the Terriers. ODU has played Maryland, the No. 2 University of North Carolina, UVA, No. 6 Syracuse University and No. 8 Michigan State University. In their last match-up, the Terriers lost at home a season ago, 2-1.

‘Old Dominion is always a very, very well coached team, a disciplined team,’ Starr said. ‘They’re a team with outstanding athletes. We have two good games ahead of us this weekend.’

The Virginia trip could define the Terriers’ season. An unlikely sweep or even a split puts BU back in action and in good position going to America East play. Coming up empty-handed will slide BU back to where it was a week ago ‘-‘- limping into upcoming conference contests. Either way, the games will provide experience to an inexperienced team with hopes of facing the elite in the NCAA Tournament.

‘It’s an opportunity for my young team to play against the best in the country,’ Starr said. ‘We’re really excited about the opportunity.’