W. Soccer heads to UNH for second AE showdown

After a convincing win over Binghamton University on Sunday, the Boston University women’s soccer team will travel to Durham, N.H., to take on the University of New Hampshire Thursday night.

Although the Terriers (5-4-2, 1-0-0 America East) have not won a game away from Nickerson Field this season, they have been in some hard-fought battles with high-caliber teams, including several ranked opponents. Seeing as the team has not lost to an America East opponent in 10 games dating back to 2007, this looks like the perfect opportunity to get a victory on the road.

This season, the Terriers have outshot their opponents, 153-114, a fairly substantial margin. The team also has drawn more corner kicks than its opponents, 54-40. Corner kicks contributed a great deal to the Terriers’ success on Sunday against Binghamton, as they scored two goals off of sophomore Jessica Luscinski’s corners. BU coach Nancy Feldman said after the game on Sunday how changing the gameplan on corner kicks before the Harvard game helped greatly in the team’s success on corners.

Coming up big on Sunday for the Terriers was senior Taleen Dimirdjian, who scored her first two collegiate goals against Binghamton. Even though she hadn’t recorded a goal this year until Sunday, Dimirdjian has been great for BU with her hard work and smart play. Dimirdjian is now tied for the team lead in goals with two, along with Luscinski and senior Farrell McClernon. Luscinski also leads the Terriers in points (7) as well as shots (28).’

With a victory tomorrow night, BU can overtake the University of Maine for the lead in America East. The Terriers have played strong as of late, winning their last three games by a combined score of 6-1. The team hopes to continue its winning streak while starting another one ‘-‘- winning on the road.

New Hampshire (1-8-1, 0-1-0 AE), on the other hand, has not started the season the way that it had hoped. After defeating the University of Rhode Island in the team’s first game of the season, the Wildcats have not won a game since. The team ranks near the bottom of America East, although they have dropped some close games in overtime. Senior Morgan Keefe has been the key to the Wildcats offense, recording five points in the team’s first 10 games.

The Wildcats have not had much success against the Terriers, going winless in their last nine meetings against BU. The teams have met a total of 17 times over the past 14 years with the Terriers holding the series advantage at 13-3-1. Either way, one streak is going to end tomorrow, whether it is the Wildcats winless streak against the Terriers, or BU’s winless streak on the road.