Cold weather, strong winds and snowfall wreak havoc at Nickerson Field

The Boston University women’s soccer team won, 1-0, over the University of Hartford Hawks on Sunday, but not without enduring the harsh conditions that Mother Nature wrought upon New England.

Freezing temperatures, whipping winds and occasional snowflakes made for an interesting matinee between the Hawks and the Terriers. Passes missed connection due to the surface of the wet field, and players were often seen on the ground from slipping or taking a break to tie their cleats.

‘It was much like Thursday’s game against Stony Brook,’ BU coach Nancy Feldman said. ‘There were very difficult conditions in both environments and it was extremely difficult with the wind today. It wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be but it’s still a little early for snow.’

Senior Farrell McClernon broke the 0-0 deadlock in the second half off a feed from sophomore Jessica Luscinski. The ball was sitting in the box behind Hartford keeper Lauren Brodeur when McClernon put it in for her fourth goal of the season. The Terriers completely dominated the Hawks in the second half to win their 10th game of the season, but were a little tentative in the first, which almost cost them.

‘I felt there were two causes for our slow first half,’ Feldman said. ‘First, they had the wind in the first, so we were running uphill and found it difficult to get anything started. Second, we just came off a loss in the same conditions, so the team was playing a little cautious to make sure we didn’t give up the first goal.’

Senior goalkeeper Janie Reilly made four saves in net for the Terriers, including a spectacular leaping save late in the first half to keep the game scoreless. Reilly’s shutout was her sixth of the season, and it helped the Terriers get a win they really needed. However, it wasn’t as easy as it seemed for the BU netminder.

‘It’s really tough in goal with those conditions,’ Feldman stated. ‘It isn’t good for Janie in these types of games because she gets really stiff and her feet are freezing. She really does a great job of blocking that out, though. Her concentration is amazing and she has a strong mentality which helps her get through the game.’