BU students find community in traditions

When Boston University students walk through Marsh Plaza, some noticeably avoid the large seal in the middle.

According to legend, if a student steps on the seal, drawn by the then-Boston School of Theology President William Warren, he or she will not graduate in four years.

‘If I did step on it, I wouldn’t think I wasn’t going to graduate in four years,’ College of Communication sophomore Andrew Bungert said. ‘But I still wouldn’t do it on purpose.’

From its metropolitan campus to its lack of a football team, BU is nontraditional in many ways. But despite its lack of a typical campus community, BU students said they share certain traditions that keep the BU spirit alive.’ ‘

‘I think traditions are a good way to bring students together and find a common ground,’ College of Arts and Sciences sophomore Devondra Dominguez said. ‘Some are silly but I tend to follow them anyway.’

One time-honored tradition is the ‘Greek Rock.’ Although Greek life has a relatively small presence on campus, fraternities and sororities can make their mark, spray painting a large rock located on BU Beach.

Tagged throughout the year by various student organizations, the boulder used to be located at the intersection of Commonwealth Avenue and BU Bridge, BU spokesman Colin Riley said.’ ‘

First Year Outreach Program Coordinators also spray paint the boulder at the end of the summer, when FYSOP week draws to an end, Ana Tobin, a College of Fine Art and COM senior said.

‘It’s a tradition and a senior right of passage,’ Tobin said. ‘You have finally made it to senior year and you still love FYSOP and this is a way to show your FYSOP love and it’s a blast.”

While some traditions are started from within the student community, others stem from direct initiatives of the administration.’

In honor of ‘Marathon Monday,’ the annual Boston Marathon, all classes are cancelled and BU students cheer on the competitors as they run through Kenmore Square, one mile away from the finish line.’ ‘

‘No matter what the weather, you’ll find people cheering on people competing,’ Riley said.’ ‘

Dean of Students Kenneth Elmore has started several traditions since he arrived at BU in 2003.’

Elmore created the ‘Matriculation Ceremony,’ a procession down Commonwealth Avenue ending with welcoming speeches by faculty at the Track and Tennis Center, in order to allow students to show school pride through an induction.

Elmore also started the tradition ‘Coffee and Conversation,’ a weekly discussion between students and Elmore on issues.’ ‘

‘It’s pretty cool that you can have a close connection with Dean Elmore,’ CAS freshman Josh Yen said.

BU’s athletic pride centers on the men’s hockey team, which participates in the Beanpot Tournament every February against Boston College, Harvard University and Northeastern University.

‘It’s great to see school spirit bring people together at the Beanpot Tournament,’ CAS freshman Kathleen Feeney said.