Terriers trample Bryant, 7-0, on Nickerson Field

The Boston University women’s soccer team closed out its non-conference schedule with a bang on Wednesday, putting on a clinic in a 7-0 victory over Bryant University. BU (11-5-2) dominated every facet of the game and never let the Bulldogs (3-10-1) get anything going offensively.

Senior Farrell McClernon started the scoring in the 19th minute off a feed from sophomore Jessica Luscinski, her fifth tally of the year. The tandem hooked up again just six minutes later when Luscinski cashed in on a McClernon pass to make it 2-0. Not even three minutes later, sophomore Brittany Heist recorded her first collegiate goal with a beautiful strike off the post and in, to put the Terriers on top 3-0, a lead they kept adding to.

BU started the second half strong when senior Emily Pallotta put away her team-leading sixth goal of the season in the 51st minute off a corner from freshman Megan McGoldrick. McGoldrick then recorded one of her own when she sent a shot into the upper right corner to make it 5-0. However, the Terriers were not done scoring.

In the 81st minute, sophomore Tiya Gallegos collected a rebound in front of the net to put the Terriers up by half a dozen. Finally, it was freshman Adrienne Anderson who closed out the scoring in the 89th minute with her first collegiate goal to put the Terriers on top 7-0, which held up to be the final score. It was the first time BU had scored seven goals in a game since Oct. 22, 2004.

‘We usually have an okay start and are a little slow getting into the game, but today we got right into it early,’ BU coach Nancy Feldman stated. ‘Now we’re focused on that regular season trophy which would be a pretty big deal to win three years in a row.’

Feldman went on to talk about the tandem of Luscinski and McClernon that have hooked up so many times on goals this year, but were especially good tonight. McClernon herself talked more about the duo. ‘We’ve been playing well together and we’re playing with confidence. We know where each other are on the field and that helps a lot with chemistry and with scoring.’

BU did not let the Bulldogs control any aspect of the game whatsoever. BU had possession for most of the game and rarely allowed Bryant into the zone. BU senior goaltender Janie Reilly saw little action, facing just one shot on net in what was her seventh shutout of the season. BU outshot the Bulldogs by a whopping 28-6 margin.

‘We wanted to play at our own tempo and control the game from early on,’ Luscinski said. ‘It’s easy to get assists when teammates are getting into spots where they can score.’

‘ ‘The team didn’t want to come out flat. We wanted to play our game from the start,’ McClernon added.

Thursday was a great day to accumulate stats, as 10 different Terriers found their way onto the scoresheet. Jessica Luscinski still holds the team lead in points, bringing her season total up to 16. Luscinski also leads the team in assists with an astounding eight helpers. Luscinski, however, still seems to be unlucky in scoring goals.

‘I’ve hit six crossbars this year,’ Luscinski said. ‘It’s kind of been the joke of the team.’

Either way, the win puts the Terriers at 11-5-2 while it drops Bryant to 3-10-1. BU is still undefeated at home with a record of 8-0-0 at Nickerson Field. The team will play their final regular season game at home on Sunday when they take on the University of Maryland-Baltimore County.