BU picked No. 1 in AE coaches poll

Behind first-team all-conference selections senior Corey Lowe and junior John Holland, the Boston University men’s basketball team is the preseason favorite to represent the America East in the NCAA Tournament this March for the first time since 2002.

That was the unanimous decision of the America East coaches during the Tip-Off Luncheon at the Connecticut State Capitol in Hartford, Conn.

The Terriers earned eight first-place nods and 64 points to lead the poll for the third straight season. Coaches are not permitted to select their own team.

Second-ranked University of Vermont earned the remaining first-place selection and 56 points. The University at Albany (43) placed just ahead of Stony Brook University (42), followed by University of New Hampshire (39).

University of Hartford and University of Maryland-Baltimore County tied for the sixth seed with 28 points each, with University of Maine (14 points) and the decimated defending-champion Binghamton University (12) rounding out the conference.

This is the second consecutive first-team selection for both Holland and Lowe. Holland, former Rookie of Year, was one of two players to average 20 points per game in league play. Lowe led the conference with 2.9 made 3-pointers per game and is the league’s active leading scorer with 1,334 career points.

University of Vermont senior Marqus Blakely joins Holland and Lowe as the three unanimous first-team all-conference selections. Blakely led the America East in rebounding, blocks and steals last season, only the second player to ever to do so.

Rounding out the squad is Stony Brook University senior Muhammad El-Amin, University at Albany junior Tim Ambrose and University of Hartford junior Joe Zeglinski, who had an equal finish for the last spot on the team.