Kenmore kitchen fire evacuates apartment complex

Four Boston Fire Department trucks responded to a kitchen fire Monday night on the third floor of a Kenmore Square apartment building, next to Myles Standish Hall, after chicken that residents were cooking caught fire on the stove.

The seven-story ‘Belvoir’ building at 636 Beacon St., which houses Fin’s Japanese Sushi and Grill and UBurger, was evacuated after the fire set off one box alarm at about 8:30 p.m., along with the sprinklers, according to BFD Chief George Wyman. No one was injured, and residents were evacuated safely.

The sprinklers extinguished most of the flames by the time fire fighters had arrived and flames did not spread from the stovetop, officials said. There was minor water damage from the sprinklers and the fire hose, BFD Incident Command Technician Michael Teehan said.

One resident, wet from the sprinklers, who would not reveal his name because he lives in the apartment in which the incident occurred, described the fire as ‘beyond mild.’

‘Nothing in the apartment actually caught fire,’ he said.

Boston University 2009 alumna Caitlin McDermott, who lives on the sixth floor, said at first she thought it was just a drill and was unaware there was a fire.

‘But as soon you went down the staircase, you could smell the smoke,’ McDermott said. ‘As soon as the alarm went off, everybody went running down the stairs, and as they smelled the smoke, people started going faster.’

College of Arts and Sciences sophomore Marian Lewin said she and CAS sophomore Natalie Browne were eating sushi at Fin’s when the fire alarm went off. Lewin said employees were calm and they even waited a couple minutes to evacuate.

‘Well, we were actually just getting ready to pay, and [the waitress] still has my credit card,’ Lewin said.