Cardella earns HE Rookie of the Month honors

On the ice, freshman forward Jill Cardella of the Boston University women’s ice hockey team has blasted the puck into the back of the net and set up her teammates with goal scoring opportunities. Off the ice, she has garnered Hockey East accolade after Hockey East accolade in her first season for the Terriers.

Tuesday, Cardella was named the Hockey East Bauer Rookie of the Month for November. She tallied six goals and three assists during the month and is now second on the team in goals (9), sixth in assists (6), third in points (14) and third with a plus-8 rating.

Earlier this season, Cardella was honored with the Hockey East Rookie of the Week for the week of Nov. 9 for her performances against Boston College and the University of New Hampshire. She netted a goal against BC and added two goals and an assist in two games against UNH.’

One More Shutout Needed

Senior forward Melissa Anderson scored her 103rd career point on Nov. 11 against the University of Vermont to set a program record, but now it is senior goaltender Melissa Haber’s turn to rewrite the BU record books. Haber has seven career shutouts and is one blank sheet away from breaking the tie with her predecessor, ’09 alumna Allyse Wilcox.

Haber entered the 2009-10 season needing only three shutouts to claim sole possession of the program record. The Langley, British Columbia native has come a long way since her rookie campaign. She has posted a 25-15-10 record in her four years between the pipes for the Terriers, while bringing out the best in Wilcox during their years sharing netminding duties.

‘She was always somebody who was a great complement but a great challenge to Allyse Wilcox,’ Durocher said. ‘In her freshman year and junior year, she pushed Allyse to the max. The bottom line is two of the three years and really throughout her career she’s been a great, great complement and a great asset to Boston University hockey.”

We Talkin’ About Practice?

Durocher has given his players a few days off from practice this week to rest up so they can be better prepared for the upcoming home-and-home series against Hockey East opponent, the University of Connecticut.

‘We took Sunday off, and we’re going to take Tuesday off, and practice started [Monday] which was great,’ Durocher said. ‘I’m hoping a little bit of rest come Sunday and Tuesday will allow us to be ready for the weekend.’

Latest on Tara Watchorn

Sophomore defenseman Tara Watchorn sat on the bench during the Terriers’ game against the University of Maine on Nov. 24 and hasn’t returned since. Her absence is due to a cyst in her foot that will keep her out of action for the rest of the fall semester.

‘She’s probably a little young to have a cyst of that size or that situation, but it is what it is,’ Durocher said. ‘I’m glad that the doctors took care of it. There were no complications as far as it being attached to the bone or a nerve or a ligament.’

Durocher hopes Watchorn will make a full recovery and will rejoin the team for the second half of the season.