Playing with the big dogs

His ringing declaration came Oct. 23.

Standing before a Terrier Tip-Off crowd of more than 1,000 fans at Case Gymnasium, Patrick Chambers issued the following statement:

‘We have the toughest non-conference schedule in the country!’

Five weeks have passed since the first-year Boston University men’s basketball coach belted out those words, and though the Terriers’ non-league slate certainly ranks among the most challenging in the nation, it isn’t the main culprit for the team’s 2-5 start.

No, BU’s primary concerns are internal, as Chambers has yet to deploy a full-strength roster this season due to illnesses and injuries that have taken their toll on the America East preseason favorites.

But the Terriers’ unforgiving schedule allows no time for recuperation. Minus senior forward Valdas Sirutis (left ankle), and possibly without freshman guard B.J. Bailey (flu) and senior guard Corey Lowe (right foot), BU will travel to Hartford’s XL Center Wednesday for a 7 p.m. contest against its most high-profile non-conference opponent of 2009-10 ‘-‘- the No. 14/13 University of Connecticut (4-1).

The absences of Bailey and Lowe ‘-‘- both of whom Chambers labeled as ‘questionable’ for Wednesday ‘-‘- in addition to Sirutis would leave the Terriers with just six available scholarship players, plus senior walk-on guards Tunde Agboola and Mike Schulze. Senior forward Scott Brittain remains out with a concussion sustained during preseason.

Each of BU’s five starters logged at least 33 minutes in Sunday’s 78-70 loss to Harvard University at The Roof, and could be asked to do so again Wednesday.’

‘The guys are giving us everything they’ve got, offensively and defensively,’ Chambers said. ‘It’s going to be a nice feeling when we have a full team, but right now, we don’t have that luxury. We’re going to practice looking like a MASH unit. It’s just been a bizarre time.

‘We’ve just got to, hopefully, get healthy soon.’

In the interim, the Terriers will contend with a Huskies team coming off its first loss of the season, as Connecticut dropped a 68-59 decision to No. 6/5 Duke University last Friday at Madison Square Garden.

Hall of Fame coach Jim Calhoun directs a squad that features an explosive trio of senior guard Jerome Dyson (19 points per game), senior forward Stanley Robinson (14.8) and sophomore guard Kemba Walker (14.6).

‘Those three guys are really, really talented,’ Chambers said. ‘I expect UConn to compete, and I expect them to play hard. I know Jim Calhoun well. He’s going to put his foot on the pedal, and he’s not going to let up.’

With his team one month away from its conference opener, Chambers wants the Terriers to maintain a simple focus in their remaining non-league games.

‘The way we have to think is that we just have to get better,’ Chambers said. ‘We’ve got to ready for the America East. If we can go into a hostile environment like Connecticut, it’s going to be the same thing at [the University of] Vermont, the same thing at [the University at] Albany and the same thing at [the University of] Hartford.

‘If we can just prepare ourselves that the other team is going to play hard, and we need to play that much harder, we’re going to be OK come league play, and that’s the goal. Quite frankly, that’s why we set up one of the most difficult non-conference schedules on the mid-major level. We just have to get better every game. If we can compete against UConn, and keep taking steps forward, we’ll be OK.”

News & notes: Lowe underwent an MRI Monday that revealed inflammation in his ailing right foot, an injury suffered before the season and re-aggravated last Wednesday against Northeastern University. ‘It’s going to bother him all year,’ Chambers said. The America East’s active leading career scorer, Lowe has started all seven games this season, averaging 13.7 points per contest. ‘hellip; Sirutis sprained his left ankle in practice late last week. ‘hellip; No timetable has been outlined for Brittain’s return. Chambers said the co-captain could come back for the start of America East play Jan. 2. ‘That’s what I’m hoping. I try not to ask him every day, but I do ask him every now and then how he’s doing. It’s really up to the individual. Hopefully he’s back by America East, but who knows? He might not be.’