Moran tallies 18 as Terriers fall to Yale, 61-57

The Boston University women’s basketball team wrapped up a three-game swing against Ivy League opponents by losing to Yale University, 61-57, last night in New Haven, Conn.

The Terriers (3-5) blew a sizable second-half lead for the second game in a row. With seven minutes left in the game, BU led the Bulldogs (4-3) by eight points. This past Sunday the Terriers blew a 13-point lead to Harvard and went on to lose 85-68.

Junior guard Yoyo Greenfield iced the game for Yale when she drained two free throws with just seconds on the clock to give the Bulldogs a two-score lead. The two free throws were Greenfield’s only trip to the charity stripe and she finished with 12 points.

After a tough game against the Crimson, freshman Mo Moran bounced back to deliver team-highs in points (18), rebounds (7) and minutes (39). Fourteen of Moran’s 18 points came in the second half.

‘She got down on herself [after the Harvard game],’ BU coach Kelly Greenberg said at practice on Tuesday. ‘We just want her to know that it’s OK that she got frustrated.’

Reigning America East Rookie of the Week Chantell Alford put up 10 points and six assists, but had another big defensive game for the Terriers with four steals and a block. The freshman guard ranks third in America East in blocks per game (1.3), behind Hartford’s senior twin towers, Erica Beverly (2.7) and Diana Delva (2.3). Alford was only behind classmate Moran in minutes with 36.’

‘[Alford’s] got great size for a guard,’ Greenberg said after Alford’s four-block performance at Brown University on Dec. 2. ‘She’s strong . . . She’s got a great feel for the game. She knows how and when to help a teammate and then she also knows when to just really stifle the girl she’s playing. I just think she’s going to get better and better.”

Unlike at Harvard, though, the Terriers did not go quietly into the night. BU shot 50 percent from the floor in the second half and 25 percent from beyond the arc. Yale shot 46.2 percent from the field in the second frame, but they won the game from the foul line. The Bulldogs took 11 more attempts than BU from the line and converted six more free throws than the Terriers ‘-‘- which made all the difference in a four-point game.’

Yale took a 27-22 lead into the locker room at the half. In the defensive showcase in the first half, both teams shot below 30 percent from the floor.

The second stanza featured back-and-forth scoring until Yale took the lead for good with seconds left when Greenfield hit a layup.

The Terriers will look to end this two-game slide when they take on Marist College on Saturday at 2 p.m. at Case Gymnasium. On Friday, the Red Foxes will faceoff with the University of Oklahoma before heading to Philadelphia for the Hawk Classic over winter break.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘