Chambers: Brittain likely lost for season

Senior forward Scott Brittain is unlikely to play this season, Boston University men’s basketball coach Patrick Chambers said after BU’s 84-75 loss to Stony Brook University Saturday at Case Gymnasium.

The 6-foot-9 Brittain, one of the team’s four co-captains, suffered his sixth career concussion during a preseason practice and has not yet suited up in 2009-10. Chambers targeted Saturday as a potential return date for the veteran back in November, but Brittain did not play against Stony Brook.’ ‘ ‘ ‘

‘It doesn’t look good,’ Chambers said of Brittain’s status. ‘He’s still having symptoms. I wouldn’t anticipate seeing him this season.’

The Oakville, Ontario, native has averaged 8.4 points and 5.7 rebounds per game in his collegiate career. Brittain was especially solid in America East play last season, averaging 11.1 ppg and 6.1 rpg in 16 games.’

Sophomore center Jeff Pelage has filled Brittain’s void in the starting lineup, tallying 2.2 ppg and 4.2 rpg this season. Pelage, however, has more personal fouls (33) than points (29) through 13 games and has not come close to matching Brittain’s production.

O’Brien sets career high in defeat

One of Saturday’s bright spots for the Terriers was the play of sophomore forward and reigning America East Player of the Week Jake O’Brien. O’Brien shot 9-for-14 from the field (6-for-8 from beyond the 3-point arc), scoring a career-high 27 points to go along with eight rebounds. His previous high of 25 points was set against the University of Maryland-Baltimore County Feb. 2, 2009.

‘Jake played great from 3-point land, but I’d like to see him get in there and mix it up a little bit more,’ Chambers said.

Echoing his coach’s assessment, O’Brien said he needs to play more physical against other teams’ big men, as Stony Brook’s frontcourt made him work for every point inside the arc.’

‘[Stony Brook’s] a very physical team,’ O’Brien said. ‘They made it difficult for me and the other bigs to do anything down low. It’s something I’ve got to do better. I have to be more physical and match their intensity. [I have to] try to get the ball for myself down low when they’re really playing physical.’

Holland, Lowe off the mark

Junior forward John Holland finished with 17 points (7-for-15 from the field) Saturday, and senior guard Corey Lowe added nine of his own (3-for-16 from the field, 1-for-9 from 3-point range). But most of the duo’s points came during garbage time, as the Terriers were trying to cut into the Seawolves’ lead by teeing up quick shots in the game’s final minutes.

‘We tried to do a great job on Holland and Lowe, but [BU] can score at every position so it’s pick your poison a little bit,’ Stony Brook coach Steve Pikiell said. ‘And therefore, Jake O’Brien went crazy. We kind of gave up that a little bit. We had to concede something.” ‘

‘They were just playing hard,’ Lowe said of the Seawolves. ‘We knew that they pressured the ball well. They had good help defense, and we knew all that coming into the game. It was just one of those days, I guess.’

Can the Terriers win when both Holland and Lowe are having off games?

‘I’d like to think so,’ Chambers said. ‘I’d like to think our next step [is], [when Holland and Lowe] are not shooting the ball well, that we can defend and rebound. That’s my goal every day in practice. I’d like to think if John and Corey aren’t playing well that [senior guard] Tyler [Morris], [senior guard] Carlos [Strong] and Jake will step up. We need it. We don’t have any other options.’

Wanted: Bench production

Through 13 games, BU’s bench has been one of its major weaknesses. It’s no secret that Chambers wants more out of his reserves.

‘We need some help on our bench,’ Chambers said. ‘We need some production. I’m not asking them to score 20. I’m just asking them to defend and rebound. We need [senior guard] Sherrod [Smith], [senior forward] Brendan Sullivan and [senior forward] Valdas [Sirutis]. We need more from those guys. Again, it’s not points. I want them to do the little things.’