City, News, Politics

Menino calls for change and participation in inauguration

Innovation was the key word in Boston Mayor Thomas Menino’s inauguration speech as he was sworn in Jan. 4 for an unprecedented fifth term, making him the city’s longest-serving mayor ever.

The ceremony took place in Faneuil Hall, where a limping Menino, recovering from knee surgery, also inaugurated the City Council, drawing laughter and applause as he accidentally swore the councilors in as ‘mayor of Boston.’

‘My mistake,’ he said. ‘I was told to read exactly what was in front of me.’

After being sworn himself in by state Superior Court Judge Merita Hopkins, his former chief of staff, Menino gave his inaugural address, calling for change and a revival of innovation in the city.

He addressed Bostonians directly, asking them for suggestions.

‘This is an open call to foundations, entrepreneurs, technologists and neighbors,’ he said. ‘Help us make Boston the hub of municipal innovation.’

The mayor said starting his new term as 2010 begins symbolizes opportunity for growth and revitalization.

‘We are four days into a new year and four days into a new decade,’ he said. ‘These are milestones on a calendar, but they also provide a sense of renewal and possibility.’

Menino enumerated Boston’s accomplishments after a brief mention of the economic challenges still ahead.

‘We’ve been named as one of the greenest cities, best cities for young people, top cities for biotech, the city with the most improved education system,’ he said.

The mention of such accomplishments sought to serve as encouragement and reassurance for Bostonians who have had Menino as mayor since 1993.

‘We should remind ourselves of the progress and look ahead with confidence,’ Menino said, adding that Bostonians had a ‘special DNA.’

Though before today his office remained tight-lipped about specific plans for his next four years in office, Menino now specified four general goals reminiscent of campaign promises: ‘Transforming education, delivering on our waterfront and new jobs, making over basic city services and bringing our city together across diverse backgrounds,’ he said.

Menino also noted that the way in which his promises were met was as important as meeting them.

‘Our full achievement may be determined as much by how we get there as by what we get done,’ he said.

After his hardest-fought campaign since he took office, in which he defeated former City Councilor Michael Flaherty by 15 percent, Menino said he would meet the challenges the opposition had put forth regarding stagnant leadership and closed doors at City Hall.

‘We will experiment and take risks,’ he said. ‘We will form unexpected partnerships. We will welcome ideas, reach out, and empower participation. We will revisit the old ‘no’s.”

After quoting the late Sen. Ted Kennedy, whose vacant seat will be filled in the Jan. 19 special election by either Democrat Martha Coakley or Republican Scott Brown, Menino closed by recognizing the unusual term record he now holds.

‘It was the privilege of a lifetime to take this oath for a fifth term this morning,’ he said.

Look for further coverage in The Daily Free Press’ first issue on Jan. 13.