City, National, News, Politics

Globe poll: Coakley 15 points ahead of Brown

A Boston Globe poll released Sunday found that Democrat Martha Coakley is 15 percentage points ahead of Republican opponent Scott Brown in the race for U.S. Senate, contradicting a Rasmussen poll done less than a week ago that showed her leading by only nine.

The Globe poll reported that 50 percent of voters surveyed would vote for Attorney General Coakley if the elections were held today, with State Senator Brown, R-Wrentham, earning 35 percent.

However, the poll also showed Brown has made some progress in building up his favorability ratings, which are at 44 percent.

With approximately a quarter of those surveyed claiming they hadn’t made up their minds, Brown still has a chance of winning over more voters. Coakley appears to have the advantage with undecided voters, as her lead grew to 17 points when poll respondents were asked which candidate they were leaning toward.

If Brown were to pull off the upset against Coakley, he would be the first Republican to represent Massachusetts in the Senate in 32 years. The last time Mass. voters sent a Republican to the Senate was in 1972, when Edward Brooke was reelected.

Read more about the Senate election in The Daily Free Press’ first issue on Wednesday.