STAFF EDIT: Martha, M.I.A.

With the election for Ted Kennedy’s vacated U.S. Senate seat in less than a week, Massachusetts’ voters are probably wondering why Democrat Martha Coakley is not leading the polls like she should be. Massachusetts has not had Republican representation in the Senate for 32 years, but apparently that isn’t a given in this election.

While the Kennedy-family endorsed candidate Coakley is leading against Republican opponent Scott Brown, the polls are showing a much narrower gap than most would expect. The Boston Globe released a poll Sunday stating that Coakley is just 15 percentage points ahead of Brown in the race for U.S. Senate, and a Rasmussen poll released Tuesday has her lead down to a shocking two points.

Both polls, regardless of their conflicting numbers, show that the gap for Coakley is not nearly as cushy as the blue state may think.

There are a slew of explanations for this, one being Brown’s climbing ratings and his determination to fight a hard campaign, but also his committed supporters who swear by the Republican hopeful, despite being the party of the minority. Coakley’s on the other hand are not necessarily as committed, given that more than half of the voters in the four-way Democratic primary gave their support to another candidate.

Though it may be more likely for the undecided to eventually vote Coakley due to her being a Democrat that is not stopping Brown supporters. Although jokes have been made that Brown is hoping for a snow day for Tuesday’s election, potentially keeping those that are undecided away from the polls, an upset wouldn’t be all that surprising considering Coakley’s campaigning as of late, or lack thereof.

Ultimately, the only person responsible for the narrowing gap is Coakley. The senate hopeful is taking things for granted going on vacation less than three weeks before the big day. The cocky Coakley could lose the Commonwealth to Brown if she doesn’t take some time out to campaign in what she clearly feels is an election already won.

While The Daily Free Press has endorsed Coakley for Tuesday’s election, her work ethic and general attitude toward this campaign is bothersome. She has proven herself to be one whose political agenda is worthy of support, but whose professional values are not.

Worthy of praise, however, is Brown, the underdog who has taken the time to meet with small business owners all over the state in the weeks leading up to what some would consider an impossible election for him. Brown even challenged Coakley to a one-on-one debate, which she refused, insisting on the inclusion of Independent Libertarian Joe Kennedy instead.

Pretty cowardly if you ask us.