Food, The Muse

Marshall’s brings fresh to Fenway

The Farmer’s Market is usually a great way to stay loyal to local purveyors, small businesses and better produce, but in Boston, the dilemma comes with schizophrenic weather patterns. Marshall’s Fenway Farm Stand, which opened in late November, is housed in an old Goodyear Tire Retread store, safe from both the elements and any (still) bitter Red Sox fans.

Bob Marshall, owner of the original Marshall’s farm stand in Gloucester, was thrilled when approached by the realtors who own the high-rises in the area to secure a three-year contract.

“This is a great, small community and I’m really ecstatic to be a part of it,” said Marshall, whose family owned a milk farm before transitioning to the farm stand business. “Eventually, we’re going to have fresh flowers for holidays, taste-testing on the every first of the month and even student and senior specials.”

Marshall’s Fenway is a one-stop shopping destination, with scallops, peeled shrimp and fillets from Gloucester (“The lobster meat was shucked this morning,” said John, the counter clerk). And for $24, split the cost with your roommate and you’ve got a $12 lobster night. Or, opt for the Cape Cod Clam Pie, ready to bake for only $6.50, or the enormous “Real Deal” stuffed clams from Danvers, about 30 minutes away from Boston.

The defining part of a farmer’s market &- the produce &- will be over 90 percent local in the spring and summer, according to Marshall. Native apples are available now, in the Cortland, Empire, Fuji, Honeycrisp and Red Delicious varieties. Fresh ginger, red peppers and heads of lettuce are also featured.

Mike’s Maine Pickles from Euston rival any Claussen spear you’ve ever had. Aside from traditional pickles, Marshall’s stocks pickled eggs, beets, mustard pickles and pickled sausage, all for $5.99.

For ready-made dinners, try the Shoe City Tavern Frozen Pizza in cheese or pepper and onion for $7.99. Thin and hand-made, these “New England-Style Pub Pizzas” are far better, tastier options than your typical Domino’s cheeseburger-bacon go-to. Serino’s Foods, located in Jamaica Plain, produces ravioli ($4), homemade sauce ($3.39), stuffed shells and lasagna, ready to tote home. If you’d like to go more family-style, try the colossal Turkey Pot Pie from Duxbury, a bit pricey at $22, but with the potential to feed at least four, with leftovers for that guy who nobody knows but sits in the common room with the lights off playing World of Warcraft.

Old-Fashioned apple cider from Carlson Orchards in Harvard is only $3.50 per half-gallon. Thatcher Farms Chocolate Milk comes in a glass bottle and Marshall’s will desposit the returned, empty vessel for $1.30.

The baked goods section is all from places within a short drive, like French baguettes from Piantesdosi’s in Malden and “Monkey Bread” from Karen’s Bakery in Lynnefield. Add a scoop of Richardson’s Ice Cream from Middleton, available in peppermint, chocolate yogurt or French vanilla, among others.

Only a short walk from BU’s campus, Marshall’s is open seven days a week, from 10 a.m. until 7 p.m., and offers local, affordable goods that you won’t find at Star Market or even Whole Foods. Slap on your balaclava and brave the cold &-&- you won’t be disappointed.

Marshall’s Fenway Farm Stand, 1345 Boylston St., Boston