Events, The Muse

BU Art Gallery shapes the abstract

Call it overwhelming or exciting, but one reality of living in a community as large as Boston University is the impossibility of recognizing and appreciating everything that goes on around campus. The expanse of the campus makes it difficult to reach the entire student body with any message or advertisement, given you do not have access to the massive window displays inside Warren Towers. (Has anyone figured out what “It’s what you do” is supposed to mean?) On the other side, having the right blend of curiosity and initiative will undoubtedly lead to discovery of various hidden gems on campus.

One particular campus jewel ­­&-&- the BU Art Gallery (BUAG) &-&- resides conveniently along BU’s stretch of Commonwealth Avenue. The BUAG makes its home on the first floor of the College of Fine Arts at 855 Commonwealth Avenue, hosting professional exhibitions throughout the year and student exhibitions every spring. All shows and events are free and open to the public.

Last Thursday night, BUAG hosted the opening reception for its latest exhibition, “The Shape of Abstraction,” which features abstract paintings, sketches and sculptures. The night’s reception welcomed visitors both inside and outside the BU community to enjoy artwork and refreshments provided by the gallery. It lasted from 6 p.m. until 8 p.m., and hosted close to 200 people, including two of the featured artists, Thomas Nozkowski and Ralph Coburn.

The exhibition was curated by Rachael Arauz who specializes in American and modern art. In order to narrow a topic as large as abstraction, Arauz settled on the visual theme of shapes.

“Everyone can relate to the shapes and colors in this show because they are so familiar,” she said. “We learn them as kids, so there is that layer of accessibility for visitors of all backgrounds.”

Arauz added that in compiling the works, she mostly wanted to feature pieces that would provide audiences with a visual treat and a way to think freshly about such elementary concepts. Currently, this exhibition is one of the only modern, abstract shows in the city.

BUAG director Marc Mitchell pointed out how Dr. Arauz’s show is distinct from others BUAG has hosted in the past.

“Previous exhibitions have been very historical and related to coursework down in the College of Arts and Sciences,” Mitchell said. “This show could be an extension of the studio program within the College of Fine Arts.”

Senior painting major Sarah Stieber, who attended Thursday’s reception, said she recognized several bigger artists’ names in the exhibition from studying them in class.

“I just watched a documentary on Josef Albers in one of my classes, and now I’m seeing his work in person,” she said.

For professors, the exhibition is proving to be a valuable teaching tool.

“The red and white Coburn painting in the show is one of the best examples of the kind of shape and pattern play that [my classes] have been trying to design,” said CFA professor Richard Raiselis, who plans to take his classes to BUAG this week.

With enough mind-bending works, “The Shape of Abstraction” will be showcased through March 28. In addition, Arauz will present a gallery talk at 12 p.m. on Friday, March 16, at BUAG. In the talk, the curator will share how she compiled the show and how certain artists and works fit into her desired theme. As with all BUAG events, the talk will be free and open to all.