Sports

Lorms taken from game on stretcher

Junior forward Holly Lorms was injured during the Terriers’ 3-1 victory over the University of Maine on Saturday. Lorms lay motionless on the ice for several minutes before she was taken out on a stretcher. Doctors are still unsure as to whether she will require surgery or not, as they are concerned about the stability of her spine, said Boston University women’s ice hockey coach Brian Durocher.

According to The Boston Herald, she is in intensive care at the Boston Medical Center.

“I don’t think we’re going to see Holly play hockey for the rest of this year, but most importantly we want her to be able to hit a tennis ball and jog around the park and do all kinds of things for the next 50 or 60 years,” Durocher said.

“It’s not about how many more games she puts the BU uniform back on. We’re real optimistic she’s going to put it back on, but it’s just not going to be this year.”

In better news for the Terriers, sophomore Jenelle Kohanchuk could see playoff action should the Terriers advance past the first round of the Hockey East Tournament. Kohanchuk has been out since breaking her thumb in late January.

Kohanchuk is scheduled to have the pin in her thumb removed soon and the team will assess her availability then.

Broken Records

Senior goaltender Melissa Haber earned her eighth career shutout yesterday afternoon, stopping 24 shots in her final regular season game as a Terrier.

“She didn’t have to make a zillion saves, but she had to make some quality ones,” Durocher said. “She’s done an excellent job throughout her career and finished in fine fashion today.”

Haber set the tone for the game in the first period when, during a 5-on-3 advantage for the University of Maine, Haber made a series of saves to knock the puck away from a scrum of Black Bears in front of the net.

“That felt really good,” Haber said. “I never go into a game thinking I’m going to get shutout, so that just felt really good that the game played out like that. It feels really good.”

The team also set a program record for fewest losses in a season, with eight losses overall and six losses in Hockey East.

“I’m real proud of that,” Durocher said. “I know there’s a lot of ties and x-amount of wins, but it’s a nice feeling to make sure you didn’t lose too many hockey games this year.”

March to the Box

BU and Maine combined to rack up 53 penalty minutes on 21 penalties over the course of yesterday’s game. Two players alone &- BU senior Melissa Anderson and Maine senior Taryn Peacock &- notched a combined nine penalties worth 18 minutes of short-handed action.

“When you see a team back-to-back games, certainly a lot of frustrations boil over,” Durocher said of the penalties. “A lot of it is in the heat of the battle. It’s not premeditated.”

The game was physical throughout, but did not become dangerous until 12:29 into the third period. On a delayed penalty against Anderson for tripping, Maine senior Lexie Hoffmeyer charged at Anderson, knocking her down before lunging at Anderson’s upper body.

The referees restrained Hoffmeyer before she could cause any more damage and promptly ejected her from the game. Hoffmeyer was charged with five minutes for fighting with intent to injure and a game disqualification.

Senior Sunday

Sunday was Senior Day at Walter Brown Arena, as the Terriers honored their eight graduating seniors with a pre-game ceremony. The class of 2010 includes forwards Jonnie Bloemers, Laurel Koller, Melissa Anderson and Jenn Arms, defensemen Sarah Appleton and Melissa Tetreau and goaltenders Ashley Leichliter and Melissa Haber.