Arts & Entertainment, The Muse

Aviator Takes Off

Base Trip Records is an independent Boston-based label run by Boston University alum Conor Loughman, and unlike that of the presidents of most labels who aim to seek out the most lucrative acts, Loughman’s personal mission is to sign artists with whom he has a personal connection.

Therefore, Base Trip is a label populated entirely by artists who are not only good musicians, but also good people, including folksy singer-songwriter Allison Francis, hip hop MC Rapper Steph, IDM artist Supersillyus, who recently released his debut album Grampaspaceshuttle for free and will open for Shpongle later this semester and recent re-signee Steph Barrak, an indie pop singer who has taken time off to write more music but is excited to start performing again.
The two artists on the Base Trip roster most active right now are Red Hook, New York natives Neil and Chester Anand, a.k.a. Aviator and InfinitiRock. Aviator was turned on to the hip-hop scene by East coast hip-hop mainstays, such as Notorious B.I.G., and he said he was inspired to start making his own music as he saw other artists putting shoddy lyricism with catchy beats and succeeding. Aviator said he finds beauty in the everyday, and several of his songs have very accessible or nostalgic subject matters.
For example, “Bring Nick Back”refers to the kids’channel Nickelodeon and sees Aviator running down a list of childhood comforts and tweaking them with clever turns of phrase, while “Tell Me Why”features observations about the world around him delivered with puns and pop culture references and namedrops of Kanye West and Ja Rule, showing off his seamless flow.
Despite his focus on lyrical content, Aviator’s tracks also feature superb production from his brother InfinitiRock, who has been making beats since age five, when Aviator influenced him to start. InfinitiRock’sproduction skill has since surpassed Aviator’s, as Aviator focused more on rapping, and he now cranks out several songs a day on his laptop, a feat even more impressive because he is still in high school.
InfinitiRock does not only produce for his brother; he has just released a free beat tape, 17 Years, available for download at http://infinitirock.bandcamp.com, in celebration of his 18th birthday. His sound mixes ambience with heavier beats, at times recalling Prefuse 73 but often even more complex, meshing crackly piano and vocal samples with original instrumentation. He notes that if he were not a musician, he would be a chef: “I have a similar approach to cooking as I do with instrumentals. I add a lot of details to create one dish.”
Aviator will perform tonight at The Western Front with Partyboobytrap, and on Saturday at the House of Blues, opening for Kid Cudi at Programming Council’s Scarlet Fever. His mixtape Thank You, Come Again will be released tomorrow, when it will be available to download for free at http://aviator.bandcamp.com.