Lacrosse, Sports

Corcoran Downey stars on defense

The Boston University lacrosse team used a strong defensive first half to get past the pesky Harvard University Crimson.

The game consisted of sloppy ball handling from both teams. The Terriers forced a total of 19 Harvard turnovers, 13 of which occurred before intermission. Junior midfielder Corcoran Downey led BU’s strong defensive effort with seven caused turnovers and seven ground balls.

“I just think [Downey’s play] gave confidence to our defensive unit to keep taking those risks,” BU coach Liz Robertshaw said. “I also think it really made our attackers feel like, yeah, our defense is here and they’re ready to go, give us the ball.”

BU senior netminder and captain Rachel Klein also attributed the team’s success to the defensive play of Corcoran.

“I think we came out and definitely stuck to our game plan,” Klein said. “Corcoran had an amazing first half. The shots that I did see, I just wanted to have their backs, so I think it was a complete defensive effort.”
The Crimson made a four-goal run early in the second half to tighten the game at 8-4, as the turnover bug bit the Terriers back after the intermission. BU turned the ball over 11 times in the final 30 minutes of the game, was outshot 17-13 and outscored 8-6.

“There were times, especially in the second half, when those turnovers started to deflate us a little bit,” Robertshaw said. “I don’t think people’s heads were dropping and thinking, “oh God, what’s going to happen now.’ I just think all of a sudden we felt a little shaky and that’s something that this team shouldn’t feel because I think they’re better than that.”

“I thought there was a lack of focus [in the second half] and that five minutes of focus obviously turned into two or three goals that hurt us. We had to regroup and had to tighten up a little bit. Halftime, I actually think, is a momentum killer if you’re up. If you’re down it’s great &- you get to regroup, you get to get organized. If you’re up and playing well that ten minutes is a long ten minutes. It’s something that hurt us a little bit. It got the minds wandering instead of staying focused on what the game plan was.”

Klein looked shaky early in the second half, giving up four quick goals, but the experienced goalie stepped up when needed most. Down by four goals with 20 minutes to go, the Crimson was poised to cut into the Terriers’ lead. They got their best opportunity of the game to score when a Harvard midfielder stole the ball inside and passed it to a wide-open teammate who had a one-on-one with Klein. The Forest Hill, Md. native made a phenomenal leg save that ultimately put the momentum back on the Terriers’ side.

“Coming out, we were a little quiet in the second half,” Klein said. “I think it just picked the momentum up. I don’t know if it was that save or us recognizing the fact that we needed to bring up the chatter and pick up our intensity defensively.”

“Rachel [Klein] has that ability to calm the team down very well and that’s something we look to her,” Robertshaw said. “We don’t want to put teams on the free-position line, but we know with Rachel she can make those saves. She has kind of told the girls, “Hey, I can make the stops so it’s OK if you put them there. I’ll get it done.'”

Harvard’s offense was led by freshman attacker Jennifer VanderMeulen, who has 17 goals so far this season. Stopping the offensive juggernaut and the rest of the team, especially on free-position shots, was crucial for a BU victory.

“I didn’t know they were 3-for-10,” Klein laughed when told of the Crimson’s failures to take advantage of free-position shots.

“[VanderMeulen] is a big player for them and I’ve been seeing a lot of eight-meters so I’ve been ready for them. We’ve been doing them in practice so I feel really prepared. They’re going to shoot from anywhere, so I am just saving as many shots as I can.”