Features

Spring Fever

In Boston, any temperature that reaches 50 degrees Fahrenheit is an excuse to celebrate. Despite the predicted showers this week, last week was a good preview to spring. It’s (more or less) time to set aside your North Face jacket, boots and long underwear and head outdoors, because the seasons? They are a-changin’.

Make the most of your Boston springtime, using this list of tried and true favorites as your guide:

Take me out to the ballgame

This year, baseball season for the Red Sox begins on April 4 &-&- opening day &-&- when they will play against the New York Yankees.

Purchase a few cheap tickets from stubhub.com for a game in the next two months and head over to Fenway to watch the team kick off the season.

While there, make sure to get some peanuts, Cracker Jacks and Fenway dogs and watch “America’s sport” at its best.

“The best part is cheering on the team and singing with the crowd,” said College of Communication freshman and Red Sox fan Rachel Blumberg.

Although Blumberg is a New Jersey native, she has been going to Red Sox games since she was 5 years old.

“Nothing beats going to a Red Sox Game,” she said. “I’ve been going since I was little and it’s always been exciting and fun to watch.”

Not much of a baseball fan? Still head to Kenmore Square. The historic Fenway Park is open during the day for tours for $12 per person.

Marathon Monday

Get ready for Marathon Monday madness. On April 19, up to 25,000 runners will race from Hopkinton to Boston &-&-a total of 26 miles &-&- in the 114th Boston Marathon. Traditionally, Boston University students gather on Beacon Street on the day of the race to cheer on runners as they near the finish on Back Bay.

Tan at a real beach

New England may not be California, but it still has its fair share of sandy beaches not too far from Boston.

College of Arts and Sciences sophomore Samantha Flick, a Massachusetts native, says she enjoys going to Revere Beach because of the quaint places to eat and dance.

“It’s really nice because it has a lot of cool ice cream shops and night clubs,” she said. “It’s a lot of fun to get off campus for a spring day.”

To get to this beach, you can take the Blue Line to the Revere Beach station and walk.

Another beach not too far away is Carson Beach, which is a short walk from the JFK/UMass stop on the Red Line.

However, unlike at Revere Beach, there is just one place to eat at Carson Beach, called the Seaside Café.

If you have extra cash, you can even travel to different states to visit beaches such as Old Orchard Beach in Maine, which offers a full-scale amusement park and weekly fireworks displays. Trips to OOB will cost you a $46 round-trip via Amtrak train.

Picnic Palooza

On a sunny day, venture to Shaw’s and purchase your favorite sandwich condiments and some cold drinks, and get a group of friends together to picnic at the Esplanade, the Boston Common or the BU Beach.

College of Fine Arts freshman Jacqueline Jané said picnicking is the perfect activity for a nice spring day in New England.

“It’s great because you are outside, relaxing and eating good food with friends,” she said.

Don’t forget to grab Frisbees, volleyballs and kites to complete the picnic experience.

Museum Mania

If you are an art lover or avid museum go-er, Boston’s Museum of Fine Arts is free for all BU students.

“MFA is something to do whenever you need inspiration,” said CFA senior Amanda Dunham. “It’s a great cultural experience.”

According to its website, there are about 450,000 objects in the collection for visitors to look at, including exhibits such as “The Secrets of the Tomb 10A,” musical instruments and contemporary art.

For political science majors, the John F. Kennedy Library and Museum, also located in Boston, is a tribute to President Kennedy, a Massachusetts native.

It has three theaters, period settings and 25 multimedia exhibits, the website says. It is located just off the Red Line at the JFK/UMASS station and tickets are $12.

Even if you aren’t a science geek, the Museum of Science’s quirky exhibits and IMAX films are enough to make you want to take the trip down the Green Line.

From a butterfly garden to a human body, the Museum of Science offers a variety of educational and fun exhibits. Tickets are $20 for non-Museum members.

Be a tourist in your own town

Some of Boston’s most interesting attractions are made to cater to tourists on day trips, and flourish in the warm weather. Rarely do Boston residents have the opportunity to see their own city because of the cold winter weather. However, spring makes it easier to explore.

If you’re a big history buff, the Freedom Trail will take you through Boston’s most historic locations, including the site of the Boston Massacre and Paul Revere’s house located in the North End.

There are a variety of options for the tour, but the “Walk Into History Public Tour,” which costs $12, is the most common option.

“The Freedom Trail is a great thing to do in good weather,” said CAS sophomore Jacqueline Strawbridge. “You get to know Boston because it takes you all around the city.”

However, if you’re short on cash, a map of the Freedom Trail is available online for free and a red brick line painted on the ground, starting at the Boston Commons, guides you through the historic sites.

For people who prefer sitting to walking, the Duck Tour provides a way to see the city by boat.

A “conDUCKtor” narrates your amphibious tour as you travel through places such as Quincy Market, the Prudential Center and the Charles River.

A student ticket costs $27, but $24 per student if you go in a group of 20 or more people.