Softball, Sports

Softball pounds Harvard

The Boston University women’s softball team used an 11-run first inning to streak to a 14-8 victory over the Harvard Crimson Thursday. Senior pitcher Megan Currier earned the win for the Terriers (11-10) after coming on in relief for senior hurler Cassidi Hardy to start the fourth inning.

BU benefited from nine illegal pitch calls in the first inning, as well as three Crimson errors in the frame.

“There were some illegal pitches called by the umpire and that propelled it into a good first inning,” said BU coach Shawn Rychcik. “A little bit of everything happened that inning.”

After senior first baseman Rachel Hebert started the inning off with a single, sophomore second baseman Erica Casacci reached on an error and junior centerfielder April Setterlund walked to load the bases. Crimson pitcher Jessica Ferri began to struggle, walking in a run before giving up a two-run double to senior third baseman Rachel Moeller and a three-run home run to freshman left fielder Taylor Cowan.

“Rachel Moeller’s had a real nice year,” Rychcik said. “Taylor’s a freshman and we have gotten some contributions out of her, too. It’s good to see them produce, and that’s what is supposed to happen. Everybody in the lineup is supposed to produce, so we have been getting the production. We’re happy there.”

The illegal pitches began later in the top of the first when Harvard’s Margaux Black came on in relief for Ferri. Freshman designated hitter Whitney Tuthill came up to the plate with sophomore shortstop Emily Roesch at first, and Roesch advanced to third on two illegal pitches. Tuthill reached on an error by Crimson shortstop Jane Alexander, and Roesch scampered home for the seventh run of the inning.

Black’s troubles continued when Tuthill scored on an illegal pitch and junior right fielder Christina Valdes scored on a Hebert single. Then, with the bases loaded and Ferri on the mound again, Moeller knocked a single into right field for her third RBI of the inning.

“It’s not anything really new for us,” Rychcik said of the offensive explosion. “We’re hitting over .300 as a team, and I think we’re leading the conference in average. We put together better hits and drove in some runs today.”

The game was not blemish-free for the Terriers. Hardy tossed two illegal pitches of her own in the bottom of the first. With two outs in the third inning, Crimson first baseman Jennifer Francis hit a three-run home run. Two batters later, second baseman Ellen Macadam blasted a two-run shot out of the park. Ferri attempted to help her own cause with a double down the left field line, and designated hitter Jessica Pledger hit a single to right field to knock Ferri in for the sixth run of the inning.

In the bottom of the fourth, Rychcik brought in Currier in relief of Hardy. Currier stopped the Crimson from doing too much damage for the rest of the game, allowing one run on two hits while walking one and striking out two.

“I actually changed relief pitchers as the game went on,” Rychcik said. “With the illegal pitching, I thought Megan might be better suited for the mound today because of the way the umpire was calling things. I thought that was the best option to have her come in in relief if it was needed, and it was.”

With the win, the Terriers are 7-3 in their last ten games and have a busy schedule this weekend. BU will play a doubleheader against The College of the Holy Cross on Saturday followed by a doubleheader against Dartmouth College on Sunday. All four games will be at the BU softball field.