Other, Sports

Track’s Senick wins twice at Seminole Invitational

Junior sprinter Joel Senick reached the winner’s circle twice Saturday, but that’s where the similarities between his two runs ended.

After gutting out a come-from-behind victory in the 400-meter dash, Senick’s 4×100-meter relay team blew away second-place Edward Waters College by 2.16 seconds to lead the way for the Boston University men’s track team at the Seminole Invitational in Tallahassee, Fla.

“He ran very competitively. He was not winning down to the last 60 meters of the [400-meter dash], but he was tough and turned it on down the stretch,” said BU track coach Robyne Johnson. “The relay wasn’t as high-pressure.”

The Saskatoon, Saskatchewan native’s final time in the 400-meter was 48.31 seconds, 0.79 ahead of second-place Arnaud Destatte and 1.05 seconds ahead of Kevin Williams, who were each unaffiliated with colleges.

The relay team finished with a time of 41.74, ahead of second-place Edward Waters at 43.9 and third-place University of North Florida at 44.27.

The Terriers had one more star performer on Saturday, sophomore Peter Gilmore, who took first place in the 3,000-meter steeplechase.

Gilmore beat out Tulane University’s Corey Squire by 15.59 to win with a time of 9:38.51. But it wasn’t Gilmore’s best performance, Johnson said.

“He actually ran better last week,” she said.