Letters to Editor, Opinion

LETTER: Getting out the Union vote

Tonight at 7 p.m. in the George Sherman Union Backcourt, the candidates for Student Union Executive Board for the 2010-11 school year will vie for your vote. I urge you to attend so that you can make wise decisions on April 19 at the electronic ballot. The next Student Union Executive Board’s voice will be a representation of your voice on campus. If we elect an executive board that is pro-party, then let there be parties at Boston University 2010-11. If we elect an executive board that is pro-study, then let there be investments in research opportunities for students and advocacy of academic issues for students at BU 2010-11. If we elect an executive board that is pro-career, then let there be career workshops and alumni-connection-building for the student body during BU 2010-11. But let us at least know who we elect and why we elected them.

Tonight you can find out what the slates running this year stand for. You can ask them questions and compare them side-by-side. You may even be able to see them kiss a baby or two. And tonight, for one night only, you can find out who you want to vote for and why you want to vote for them. Arguably, this is one of the most important activities you can participate in all year.

When you go to vote the week of April 19, make sure you know who you are voting for. The worst situation we can find ourselves in is having representatives that don’t represent us. We have the right to vote, but it is our responsibility to remain informed and involved. By going to the debates tonight, and by voting next week, you are showing the administration, your peers and yourself that you give a damn and are prepared to do the responsible thing. So again, I encourage you to attend the Student Union Candidate Debates tonight in the GSU Backcourt at 7 p.m. Show your support for your university, your Student Union and yourself and do the responsible thing.

James Sappenfield
Student Union President