Campus, National, News

Obama nominates BU prof. to defense position

President Barack Obama has nominated Boston University associate professor of surgery Jonathan Woodson for assistant secretary of Defense of Health Affairs, according to a April 21 White House press release.

Dr. Woodson, who is also the associate dean of students for diversity and multicultural affairs at the School of Medicine, has a deep background in both medicine and military.

He graduated from the College of New York and New York University School of Medicine, the press release stated.

According to the press release, Dr. Woodson is a Brigadier General in the United States Army Reserve and has supported several Army Medical Department missions.

As a member of the military, he was deployed to Saudi Arabia, Kosovo, Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom. He received the Legion of Merit, the Bronze Star Medal and the Meritorious Service Medal. He also responded to the 9/11 terrorist attacks in New York, where he worked as the Senior Medical Officer for the National Disaster Management System, according to the press release.

Aside from his affiliation with BU, Woodson is also the assistant surgeon general for reserve affairs, force structure and mobilization in the Office of the Surgeon General and deputy commander of the Army Reserve Medical Command, according to the BUMC website.

“As a medical educator, Dr. Woodson is considered one of the “go-to deans’ for new ideas and proposals and has helped students launch important projects such as an effort to ensure greater horizontal and vertical integration of cultural competency within the BUSM curriculum,” stated the Association of American Medical Colleges website.

“I look forward to working with [the nominees] in the months and years to come,” said Obama on April 21.