Three BU hockey players to be punished in connection with drinking incident

Rising senior forward Victor Saponari will be released from the Boston University men’s hockey team and rising junior forwards Vinny Saponari and Corey Trivino will be suspended in connection with an alcohol-related incident that occurred less than 48 hours before a playoff game, according to multiple sources familiar with the situation.

Rising senior goalie Adam Kraus, who was also involved in the incident, could possibly be suspended as well.

Sources said the coaching staff was recently informed that the four players were drinking on the night of March 17, less than 48 hours before the Terriers’ Hockey East semifinal matchup with the University of Maine. BU’s season came to an end with a 5-2 loss in that game.

Victor Saponari and Kraus are both of legal drinking age, but a long-standing team rule forbids players from drinking on any night other than Saturday. Vinny Saponari and Trivino are both underage.

According to sources, there were several other incidents that occurred during the season that factored into the punishments. WTBU Sports is reporting that Victor Saponari skipped a practice.

The BU athletic department declined to comment on the matter but is expected to put out a release on Tuesday regarding disciplined student-athletes.

Back in 2007, four players, all of age, were suspended indefinitely for drinking on a Sunday afternoon. They returned to practice five days later and missed two games.

At this time, it’s unclear how long Vinny Saponari and Trivino will be suspended.