Field Hockey, Soccer, Sports

Following Friday’s games

Then-No. 12 South Carolina University. Then-No. 2 Stanford University. 2009-10 Patriot League runner-up American University. The Pac-10's University of Washington. Next up on the Boston University women's soccer team's challenging non-conference schedule is crosstown rival No. 6 Boston College with a 7 p.m. kick off set for Friday night at Nickerson Field.

Graduate student Lisa Kevorkian leads the Terriers (2-2) with three goals, six points and eight shots through four games, while freshman midfielder Emma Clark, junior forward Tiya Gallegos, midfielder Jessica Luscinski and sophomore midfielder Jessica Morrow have each found the back of the net once.

"We were very fortunate to have Lisa Kevorkian fall into our laps," said BU coach Nancy Feldman of the transfer from University of California, Berkeley. "I thank my lucky stars because the kid is not only a great player, she's a great person. She's a leader by example."

The Eagles (2-0-1) feature two standout players from the Under-20 Women's National Team in sophomore forwards Victoria DiMartino (three goals, one assist, seven points) and Kristen Mewis (one goal, two assists, four points). The Terriers' attackers will have a difficult time getting the ball past 5-foot-8 junior goalkeeper Jillian Mastroianni, who has allowed just one goal in 290 minutes.

"It's always a big game just because it's BC," Luscinski said after BU's 3-0 victory over Washington last Sunday. "But we're just going to look to learn from this win and keep carrying on and give them, hopefully, a good game."

<strong>Field Hockey</strong>

The BU field hockey will be looking to get off to its best start to a season in three years when it goes for its third consecutive win in 2010 against Providence College Friday night. The Terriers are coming off two wins at last weekend's Capital Land College Classic in Albany, N.Y. The second victory, a 2-1 come-from-behind win over Virginia Commonwealth University, could provide just the momentum the Terriers need going into their matchup against the Friars of the talented Big East.

"We controlled that game statistically throughout," said BU coach Sally Starr. "It really speaks well to the mentality of our team going forward that we were able to come back and get the win, I think."

Perhaps other than their mentality, the Terriers' (2-0) biggest asset thus far has been their defense. BU has allowed just one goal between its two games against non-conference opponents. According to Starr, the backline will have to be at its best again on Friday against a team she called "very explosive on attack."

"When they go, they go with max speed," Starr said. "They can be very dangerous. . . . We're going to need have excellent transitional defense."

Starr bases much of her assessment of the Providence (0-2) attack on her team's 2-0 loss to the Friars last season. However, Providence has not been nearly as formidable on the offensive end in the beginning stages of their 2010 campaign. In fact, the Friar offense has failed to net a single goal in its first two games &amp;- 3-0 and 5-0 losses to the University of Maine and Boston College respectively.

The BU offense has had much more success in the early going, netting a combined five goals between their first two contests. Junior striker Andrea Greene, last week's AE Player of the Week, led the way with three of those goals.