Women’s soccer drops two straight

For a moment, it looked like the unthinkable would happen. A Landon Donovan-style last-minute goal would've gotten the Boston University women's soccer team to force its match against rival and No. 6 Boston College into overtime. An unfortunate miss and a general lack of team cohesion led to a 1-0 loss to the Eagles Saturday afternoon at Nickerson Field.

For much of the game, the Terriers (2-4) were unable to gain a sniff of the opposing net. That all changed in the last minute when senior tri-captain Corie Halasz was able to send graduate student and leading scorer Lisa Kevorkian through on a breakaway. BU's top scorer was unable to pull the trigger correctly this time, sailing her shot over the right post.

"We dug hard at the end," Halasz said. "We kind of mentioned at halftime not waiting "til the last minute to get our goal. Just to play catch-up at the end, it's frantic. That ball, when I kicked it forward, you're hoping your forward gets on the end of it."

The game itself featured few chances between the two teams. A cautious first half saw the two teams exchange only three shots on goal between them. Timely challenges by BU's backs were able to stop the continuing supply of through-balls that BC midfielders provided.

"I thought we played hard," BU coach Nancy Feldman said. "I thought there were lots of moments where we played well, but I didn't quite feel like we were as connected as we've been in the first four games. There was something missing today."

After the break, the visiting Eagles (3-0-1) showed an increase in tenacity, controlling most of the play. Their efforts were rewarded in the 63rd minute, as sophomore Kristen Mewis was able to guide senior Hannah Cerrone's corner kick into the side of the net.

BC almost made it 2-0 in the 72nd after midfielder Stephanie Wirth was sent on a breakaway. An excellent stop by junior goalkeeper Alice Binns kept the game within reach. Seven minutes later, the Eagles thought they had gotten that elusive second goal, only to have it called back due to offsides.

The big drama was yet to come, however. In the 84th minute, a BU player was taken down at the edge of the box in a contentious play. Referee Sean Nally sided with the visitors and waived play to continue. After the game, Feldman disagreed with the call.

"That looked like a foul to me." Feldman said. "(Nally) looked like he didn't want to determine the game but, by not calling it, he might have done that."

BU finished the match with five shots, two of them on target. BC goalkeeper Jillian Mastroianni was able to turn both of them away for her fourth shutout of the season. On the other side, the Eagles sent 11 shots toward the Terriers' net, five of them reaching the target. BU goalies split duties in the game with freshman Kelly King turning away two shots in the first half and Binns stopping three while letting in the lone goal in the second.

Also in weekend action, BU took the road Monday night for a match against Monmouth University. Monmouth forward Mary Wilks was able to get a late tiebreaker in the 70th minute to give the Hawks a 2-1 victory. Forward Dana Costello also capitalized for Monmouth while freshman midfielder Emma Clark scored the lone goal for the Terriers, her second of the year.

The Terriers take to the road next weekend for a trip to Virginia with matches against the College of William &' Mary and the University of Virginia.