Field Hockey, Sports

No. 15 BU field hockey upsets No. 7 BC, falls to N’eastern

One day they were celebrating the best start in team history, and the next they were on the losing end of a one-goal shutout.

It was a topsy-turvy weekend for the No. 15 Boston University field hockey team, which defeated No. 7 Boston College, 2-0, in Newton on Friday night only to surrender their perfect record to Northeastern University, 1-0, two days later. The loss to the 3-3 Huskies put a damper on what was a weekend for the history books.

"I definitely feel we were a little complacent entering the game [against Northeastern]," said BU coach Sally Starr. "I think as a young team we can definitely utilize this as a learning opportunity. I really felt that we were out of sync, particularly in the first half. Obviously, it was a huge win for us on Friday. We were a little bit worried about a letdown today. We were hoping that that was not going to happen, but it did happen. We just weren't in sync like we need to be.

"Northeastern is a very good team. We need to be ready to play against every opponent. Friday night to Sunday is enough of a separation that I think we could have been better prepared than we were."

The win against the Eagles (5-1) was nothing short of uplifting. On a night when the crowd at BC's home field was dominated by vocal BU fans, the Terriers (5-0) shut out a team that scored 17 goals in its first five games while also converting not one but two scoring opportunities on BC goalie Kristine Stigas. Stigas had previously allowed only one goal in her first five games.

The 5-0 start was the best in BU field hockey history. Junior forward Andrea Greene scored both goals for the Terriers, the first coming on a third effort during a scramble in front of the net. Stigas managed two saves before Greene collected the second rebound and squeezed it by her in the 14th minute.

The Eagles had their best chance at a goal with only 2:36 left in the first half when they forced a corner opportunity. Sophomore Jacqui Moorfield's shot was saved initially by senior goalie Amanda Smith. The ball then rattled off of the post. Officials decided that the ball did not cross the goal line and play continued, much to the frustration of BC coach Ainslee Lamb who shouted at the referees until a timeout was called.

From that point on, the Terrier defense dominated the game. Forced turnovers and airtight goaltending by Smith kept the Eagles from maintaining any offensive momentum.

"I think the tackling tonight was really, really good," Starr said. "Individual defense was good, and our team defense was very, very good. BC is an excellent, excellent attacking team. To keep them off the scoreboard today was an outstanding team feat. It takes not one individual defensive effort but really a team defensive effort to do that."

Smith played her first full game in net. In the previous five, she and sophomore Julie Collins had split time.

"[Smith] had a really good warm up," Starr said. "Julie had a really good warm up, but I really felt that Amanda made some big saves, some big stops in the first half. She really had momentum going. The team was really pumped with her in there. She's a senior and this is her last BC game so I though it was important to give her this game. I'm really proud of her getting that shutout."

Greene's second goal came in just the third minute of the second half as the Terriers continued to show off their knack for inciting early pressure.

"The second goal was absolutely textbook," Starr said. "It's two international kids who have a lot of experience. [Sophomore back] Jacinda McLeod saw a seam in the press. Andie saw the same spot. She delivered a great ball, and Andie had the ability to one touch it and roof it in the back of the net. That's classic. That is just an awesome, awesome goal."

The tally doubled the Terriers' lead and forced Lamb to pull Stigas for an extra attacker with 7:20 remaining in the game. Although the Eagles were able to generate more offense in the final minutes, the Terriers continued to force turnovers that interrupted many of their drives to the goal.

Ironically, after a strong defensive showing against BC, it was a lapse in the backfield that led to Northeastern's game-winning goal against the Terriers two days later.

In the 28th minute of the contest, Northeastern forward Crystal Poland forced a turnover deep in the Terrier defensive zone and fellow frontliner Carolyn Malloy caught the back line off guard, ultimately scoring on a point-blank shot over Smith's shoulder.

"The goal that got scored on Amanda today was more of a breakdown in front of her than an error that she made," Starr said.

The mistake provided just enough offense for the Huskies to pull off the upset and earn their third straight win, despite being outshot 23-4.

"We let one get away from us today," Starr said. "It's just a matter of continuing to take it one game at a time."</p>