Terriers aided by rejuvenated attack despite suspensions

Coming off a three-game losing streak in which it was outscored 8-1, the Boston University men's soccer team was in search of a win above all else heading into a set of games last weekend.

Not only did the Terriers accomplish that, but they also snapped out of an offensive rut that plagued them in losses to No. 10 Boston College, No. 12 St. John's University and No. 22 Brown University.

Finishing up a three game homestand at Nickerson Field, the Terrier attack paved the way for a successful weekend, one in which BU took down the University of Rhode Island 3-0 on Friday night and managed a 2-1 upset of No. 21 Harvard University last night.

Ironically enough, the increase in goals actually started with the absence of some of the team's top veteran playmakers up top.

BU coach Neil Roberts opted to bench senior forward Aaron O'Neal, junior midfielder Michael Bustamante and junior forward Stephen Knox as healthy scratches for the URI game, citing an overall lack of leadership as his prime motivating factor in the decision.

This move, however, enabled Roberts to insert speedy junior midfielder Ben Berube on the front line. The decision was not without risk, seeing as Berube did not have very much experience playing forward. Roberts' decision ultimately paid serious dividends as Berube was the leading goal-scorer for the weekend, scoring two goals against URI and netting the game-winning goal against Harvard.

"He made us look good and he made himself look good," Roberts said. "He did a good job out there."

The three goals Berube scored over the weekend were his first three of the season.

Despite posting a 2-0 weekend and scoring five goals in the process, some felt that the offense could have somehow managed to do even better.

"We're getting the chances, which is good, but we do need to work on our finishing a little bit," Berube said. "We got enough to win, so I guess that's all that matters."

While Berube's three goals were certainly the highlight of the past two games, several other Terrier players got involved in the attack.

Among them was sophomore striker Ade Akinsanye, who finished a ball that deflected off the URI goalie on a shot from none other than his brother, senior midfielder Temi Akinsanye. The goal finished off the scoring for the Terriers in their 3-0 rout of the Rams.

Freshman defender Kelvin Madzongwe got in on the action as well, registering the first goal in his collegiate career against Harvard when he headed home a cross from Berube just inside the near post to give the Terriers a 1-0 lead over the Crimson.

"That's a big deal to me," Madzongwe said. "I'm gaining confidence and fitting into the system."

For Madzongwe, as well as Ade Akinsanye, the goal was his first of the season.

Equally impressive for the Terriers were the ways in which they were able to score in different situations. The first of Berube's goals against URI came off a direct free kick from about 20 yards out. Akinsanye's goal came off of a rebound when the Terriers had a several man advantage up front on a counter-attack. Madzongwe connected off of a header on a play that started as a corner kick against Harvard and Berube finished off some nice combination play among the attackers to cap off the undefeated weekend.

Statistically, the Terriers' offensive success extended beyond the goals that they were able to record. If anything, the goals came as a result of the intense pressure that they placed on the opposing defenses in the two wins. In those two games, the Terriers held an 11-2 advantage on corner kicks, and they outshot their opponents by a combined 33-13 margin.

With the non-conference portion of the season now coming to a close, BU will now face a full slate of America East games, looking to make amends for a forgettable 2009 conference campaign. For its own sake, the team is hoping the offensive momentum that it gathered this weekend is something it can take with it going forward.

"We need to keep pushing," Berube said. "We need to do what we did tonight and just keep working."</p>