Winning possession battle key to BU’s first AE victory

They say the best defense is a good offense. The other team cannot score if it does not have any access to the ball. In the World Cup this summer, fans saw Spain cruise through a series of 1-0 victories not by stifling the opposition with impenetrable defense, but by controlling the play at all times of the game.

This Sunday, the Boston University women's soccer team had a little bit of the Iberian giants in its play. The Terrier attack came in from all angles against an overmatched University of New Hampshire squad. A series of short, crisp passes were followed by cutting through-balls and crosses that stretched out a busy Wildcat defense.

"We really have been focusing on possession," said junior forward Jessica Luscinski. "We have a great work rate so that we can keep the ball as long as we do. If the other team does not have the ball, they can't score. So that's a key mentality for us and it's a pretty game to watch."

At the end of the day, UNH never had a chance. It could not fire a single shot on goal because it never got open. Too much energy was spent trying to get the ball back so that once they did, the Wildcats had no idea what to do with it.

"Possession does wear out the other team," said BU coach Nancy Feldman. "If you put [your pass] to the correct foot and at the correct pace, it sets up speed of play. Now your speed of play can be high, and the other team's doing a lot of chasing. It's attention to detail."

It is somewhat ironic that BU's most dominating performance on the season came during the first victory where it failed to score three goals.

The Terriers outshot UNH by a margin of 30-4. BU goalkeepers Kelly King and Alice Binns, who might as well have come onto the field with a newspaper, combined to make just one save on the afternoon.

The key to the offense was the involvement of Luscinski. Officially listed on the starting lineup as a forward, the stalwart from Bedford, N.H. was often dropping back to set up play in the midfield.

"[Luscinski] is everywhere and she has been terrific," Feldman said. "She's doing well playing with her creativity and motor as well as getting that many touches. She's also playing within the system. To be involved that much and not just be special but be special within the system, she's someone we really count on. She's very gifted, but she has also become better at sharing the ball and viewing all her options on the field."

The depth of the rest of the midfield was also important in maintaining momentum. Starters Brittany Heist, Tiya Gallegos and Shauna Kelleher received long spells from a variety of bench weapons including Brea Hewitt and Kylie Strom. The team did not miss a single beat. Over and over, the Wildcats' players seemed overmatched and gave the ball back as soon as they got it. The mental challenge of playing a team that controls more than 70 percent of possession proved too much.

They call it "tiki-taka" in Spain when a team dominates play by maintaining possession and completing all its passes perfectly. While it's difficult to expect the same display every weekend, the Terriers would do well to mirror Sunday's playing style going forward in conference play.</p>